Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 AU Sixpence - Doubling, Overdate, Something Else Or Is The 7 Standard Issue?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  01:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi again,
I had an error sixpence up in another forum regarding verdigris / PVC and another punter queried whether there was an overdate on the 7.
I looked into it a bit and it's not an overstamp that I can tell but there is something underlying the downstroke of the 7. As far as I can tell it appears on most if not all other sixpences of this year, but some on ebay maybe don't have this feature. So my question is, do you have a 1957 sixpence that does not have this underlying step?

Wiser heads than mine will be able to tell if it is Machine Doubling but to my eye it is not quite that.

The first picture is from the error coin. The 7 also appears to have a small lump (I ain't sayin' cud!) at the bottom of the right side of the down leg. Also the bottom of the 1 left side looks suspect, as does the 1 in the second picture.

The second pic is from a standard sixpence out of my spares bag.
It has the same left side step on the 7, as well as a small tip on the left arm of the 1 at the top - probably a small cud die chip.

So does your 1957 have the step on the left?

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
07/07/2022 07:23 am
Learn More...
United States
24278 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And yes it is in the wrong forum

Fixed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Australia
461 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a common feature for this date.
Advice is not a gift, but a debt that the old owe to the young.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It appears to be a common feature for this date.

Thanks for the feedback echidna, I agree, the more I search the more I find, including proofs.
Interesting rendition of the 7.

Cheers TT
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: