Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Sovereign 1866 Restrike ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 582Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
157 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  1:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello guys,
I was able to purchase an Australian Sovereign with Queen Victoria. It is in a Holder from an Indian Grading Company called PCG and described as ''Restrike''.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eriEV_LKbkY
To me, the coin looks very well struck and not like a typical counterfeit from the 1960s. The appearance is very similar to slabbed coins I found on HA and to another specimen of my collection. So my questions to you:
1. Are there any opinions about the Authenticity?
2. What is the Grading when it comes to NGC/PCGS standards?

Thank you in advice and Greetings from Germany
Alex

Pillar of the Community
Australia
806 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would check with a Bullion Co./Dealer on the Gold purity first,they should be able to scan it in the holder/slab.
Restrike is like replica,raises red flags.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16358 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are showing pictures of two different coins.
Which one are you referring to?
Also a restrike is not a genuine coin, it is a replica.
PCG is what is known as a basement slabber and unreliable.
Valued Member
Germany
157 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin would be rawr I would have no doubts about the authenticity. I just want to know why PCG declares it as counterfeit. The question is wether they have more information or less knowledge than me
All pictures are from the same coin btw. How would you grade it?
Edited by Alexthegreat
07/09/2022 9:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20078 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the pictures I see on my 24 inch screen monitor, this coin appears to be authentic. I agree that it appears to be well struck.

Just to note that Type 2 (1857-68) 1866 Sydney Mint sovereigns are yellow gold (2 carats, 8.33% silver), not red gold, (2 carats copper). Some of the Type 2 Sovereign issue of 1870 was in red gold.
Hand held XRF instrument should confirm.
Take it to a bullion dealer to confirm, they will most probably charge a fee for this service. They would almost certainly give you accurate weight information at the same time. (7.9881 grams)

I have never heard of an Indian grading company who call themselves 'PCG'. Indian 'PCG' would have very little recognition in the American numismatic collector market. Although Indian mints are notorious for the production of restrike coins (mainly Indian), I have never heard of restrike Sydney Mint sovereigns before. In my opinion, Indian PCG is incorrect.
If the coin is in a slab, and your decision is to test it for weight and alloy analysis, is is necessary to break the coin out of the slab.

I only use Sheldon for American coins, when I can visually compare with PCGS Photograde
Good EF (British grading)
I currently have an example of an 1866 Sydney Mint Sovereign in my collection
My example by comparison, would grade at
good VF.
Valued Member
Germany
157 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for all these informations and opinions :-). I also think that the coin is genuine. I have a piece of the same year in Ms60, so I can compare.
The coin was gradet as Ms62. I think thats straight grade, but the judgement of a noname grader this nothing worth. So I decided to crack the holder. The plastic was so cheap that I could do that without any tool!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2095 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks okay to me too. It also looks like there is a die clash on the reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20078 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disagree with MS-62.

Gold is soft, too many small nicks and dings for 62.
Pictures good enough to grade accurately.
I am quite familiar with these coins. Authentic, not a restrike.

I think fairly graded at
AU-58 =Good EF Australian (British) grading.

I didn't review my previous post first, but still came up with the same grade opinion.
Edited by sel_69l
08/13/2022 10:23 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
441 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Mr T

Die clash on the reverse
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: