Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Question & Answer - Introduction & Question List

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 698Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  09:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Over the years, quite a number of good questions have been asked here on CCF about the US commemorative coin programs (classic and modern) as a whole and about individual coins within each of them. When I could, I did my best to be one of the folks who provided a reliable, fact-based reply.

Many such Q&A exchanges are now buried in long-forgotten threads, so I thought I'd resurrect a few that have good general applicability and are still relevant today. I plan on posting the questions (and answers) separately under the title "Question & Answer #XX." Note: I'm resurrecting only my responses as the others, when available, are not my property. So, if you disagree with a response, your "quarrel" is with me!

I'd like to solicit new history-focused questions as well. If you have a US commemorative coin-related question (other than "What's the grade?" or "How much is it worth?") - post it here in this thread and I'll provide a response as soon as I can - no guaranteed timelines! There are plenty of folks here on CCF who regularly provide feedback on grade and/or market value, so I don't want to misdirect such questions. We can use this thread as a running "Q" list, with the "A" for each posted as an individual topic to make it easier to search for/find in the future.

I'm kicking off the Q&A Series with a few questions from 2012. I've rephrased each of them slightly to make them a bit more focused and fit this Q&A format, but have not altered the core query of the original.

Here are links to the first three:

- Question & Answer #01 - Starting Point of US Commemorative Coins?
- Question & Answer #02 - Minting of US Commemorative Coins?
- Question & Answer #03 - Regional Nature of US Commemorative Coins?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
116244 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fantastic idea! I look forward to seeing these ongoing topics.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71623 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea indeed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea commems - I'm excited to read what you come up with.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you talk about the official mintage vs net mintage and what likely happened to unsold pieces? Also which commems had proofs struck and how did that come about?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
contagious asked:

Quote:
Can you talk about the official mintage vs net mintage and what likely happened to unsold pieces? Also which commems had proofs struck and how did that come about?

A two-parter - First up, mintage figure terminology and unsold coins:

= Question & Answer #04 - Mintage Terminology/Unsold Coins

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11591 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems. Your commemorative knowledge knows no equal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@All: Thanks for the kind words and words of encouragement!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in July 2012, SDcoinguy asked:

Quote:
Why were there so many bills regarding the minting of commemorative half dollars introduced? Did the Government just have more dispensable income?

Revisiting the original response (with a few updates):

= Commems Collection: Question & Answer #05 - So Many Commemorative Coins in 1930s?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in February 2012, andreus7422 asked:

Quote:
How do I start collecting US commemorative coins?

Here are the thoughts I shared at the time - I believe they remain useful:

= Commems Collection: Question & Answer #06 - How Do I Start?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Finishing up the two-part question presented by contagious:

Here are a few thoughts on proof coins within the classic US commemorative series:

- Question & Answer #07 - Classic Era Proof Strikes

Edited by commems
08/13/2022 10:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in February 2011, Coin Chaser asked:

Quote:
Are Old Commemoratives Effected By Price Gold Silver?

I wasn't a CCF member yet, so this reply is my first take on it:

- Question & Answer #09 - Impact of Spot Prices

Edited by commems
08/18/2022 07:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in January 2016, one_fine_dime asked:

Quote:
Does anyone know how we could mobilize the numismatic community and get them to start issuing silver 50 commems again!?

My updated response:

- Question & Answer #10 - Clad Half Dollars

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread has such tremendous value! Those that miss it don't know what they're missing!

Thank you "Professor".

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2022  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my question: I vaguely recall a pretty significant advertising blitz for the statue of liberty coins in the 1980s. I was just a kid then, but I was given a couple as gifts by people who wouldn't typically give coins as gifts. So therefore I am assuming that the masses really got into this set and purchased them.

Can you tell me if I am right, was this a popular set with the public? I guess I'm also asking for the history of the set and was there anything done with the sales profit to go toward the renovation of the statue?

I also seem to recall a campaign to have kids send in copper pennies to help with the renovation. I'm curious if that really was an impactful event.

Thanks!!!!
Edited by ChicagoCoinGuy
08/31/2022 12:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8242 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 698Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: