Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Like To Share With You My First Ever Gold Coin I Purchased Today. 1900 Half Eagle

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,058Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin, I still remember my first!
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, & Coins what could be better?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
956 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My congratulations.
My first and so far the only gold coin remains 2.5 $ 1906 bought back in 2019.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand how slow getting to gold can be. I've been collecting since the late 90s and got my one and only in 2014.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on this milestone! I love the Coronet Half Eagle, was my first too! I still have (and love) my 1886-S one (super common!) that I got when I was in middle school.
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Unfortunately gold coins, especially US, are extremely addictive. Bought my first about two years ago and it didn't take long before I'd accumulated a type set. Particularly like the Classic heads.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive buy Skeletonwizard8.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately gold coins, especially US, are extremely addictive

Quote:
Now the addiction starts

Interesting topic, gold addiction. Gold inherently has its attractive qualities that humans are drawn to. That is why we like gold jewelry, ornaments, etc.

Different coins hit people in different ways. It surprised me that I don't find gold coins super attractive. The design is neat but silver ultimately hits my soft spot. I just find silver coins more interesting. Anybody else feel this way? Don't get me wrong, they are very neat and I own some pre-33 myself. I love the weight, but not a huge fan of the color. I am not trying to downgrade the OP's coin either, just providing a perspective for discussion.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20035 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this your first foray into gold coins,
probably best to buy slabbed on the American collector market.
Almost all dates of American gold coins have been faked, some in recycled coinage gold.

None of my coins are slabbed, but with decades of collecting experience, I feel well confident enough to grade my own coins, and will dispute the slab grade if I feel it is not right.
but mostly, I don't have to do that with other collector's slabbed coins

I prefer to buy all my coins raw, so that I can investigate them further, if the need arises. Confirmation of weight and XRF testing can be important on rare occasions.

I am over the gold coin addiction. To me, gold is just another coinage metal, with the disadvantage that you have to pay more for them. I have about 30, covering most major World cultures and major numismatic epochs; they comprise less than 2% of my collection.
Edited by sel_69l
08/11/2022 08:24 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,058Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: