Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 IHC Top Prize For Worst Planchet Defect, And Is It Double-Struck In Collar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 603Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  10:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an 1862 Indian Head cent, struck on a planchet with a huge lamination fault as seen. What are also seen are a letter "S" (which has a serif) just to the left of the O, and the neck pearls are in a line just opposite the eye... we know that it was struck like this, due to the incomplete denticles from 11:00-2:00 obverse... any ideas?

Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
07/18/2022 10:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, but it gets top prize for ugliest Indian Head cent!

Quote:
any ideas

Damage, damage, and more damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you enlarge the full obverse pic so we can see the details of the fault better?

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fault curls on the edge, under the denticles to the left, and sort-of lifts the bottom left side of the coin-accounting for the weakly struck denticles at the top I'd think... you will also see a line of lamination from the field, across the nose. A little bit of that is peeling off

Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
07/18/2022 11:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As beat up as that poor Indian is, I am not sure this was not just an old, deep gouge that got darkened/colored with age.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a gouge, how would you do it? Copper-Nickel is a very hard alloy, and there isn't any furrowed metal (plus there are the little strips of lamination near it). The edge is undisturbed save for the tiny crack, so it wasn't a "Whack job"
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things happen to coins....
Normal coin that is damaged.
I advise you to research the term "delamination error".
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck: Thank You!
JTCC: Oddly, years ago I had a small collection of "bad planchet" Large and Half Cents... that's why I like this one. The edge is cracked where the fault stops, goes under some of the denticles to the left and lifts them. I'll try for better pics
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like a typical lam. Possibly a defective planchet to begin with?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of the edge from (186)2 up to S1 in STATES. I'll post some interesting pics of the obverse soon... there is a row of 6 dots in front of the eyes. a row of fat dots higher up on the neck, a "S" that appears before O(F), a few weirdly mis-shaped feathers-you can see all this on the first pic...
It's not bent
Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
07/21/2022 4:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17740 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edge picture is out of focus, but I believe it could be a cracked planchet.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: