Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bay State Coin Show 2022

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,096Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2381 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After visiting this coin show on Friday morning, I think I will have to adjust my expectations.
The idea to go to a local coin show to buy world coins seems to be hit-or-miss and perhaps even a fools errant. I now think it is a better idea to buy these types of coins online or at dedicated international coin shows. More choice and a better price/quality ratio at these venues, IMO.
In the future, I probably will only go to a local coin show for American, bullion, junk silver, and mint sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisED -

Sorry you didn't find what you were looking for! I was also looking for some specific world coins that I didn't find (especially an Irish half crown 1930s). But I think that's a limitation of coin shows in general? I was lucky to find 3 dealers I was looking for - and sold quite a bit to 2 of them! In the end I sold a lot more than I bought but it was still a god day overall.

The show definitely leaned toward American pieces - lots of 19th century stuff too! Also a ton of bullion gold and silver. A couple tables for banknotes and some medals and tokens but not much. I used to see a lot more tokens and medals! I didn't notice any stamps. Usually I see at least 1 table with stamps. I often buy old, unused American stamps but not this time.

As for world coins - There were a couple dealers dedicated to Celtic and Anglo coins, some beautiful stuff but not exactly what I was looking for. Also saw a couple dealers who specialized in ancient coins and oh, boy did they have some examples! Qians coins was there. He always has nice stuff from China etc etc.

Like you, I collect world coins. I especially go for circulated world silver - I still need a lot of types and I can usually find some at melt in circulated condition. For example, at the show on Saturday I found a dealer near the entrance selling rolls of Canada 80% silver dollars for $259 which is just over spot. He had some other world coins (including a couple nice pieces from Mauritius that I wasn't looking for but really liked). I asked if he had more world coins but he said he only brings what he thinks he can sell at the show.

Personally, I would love to go to a show with a wheelbarrow and just buy all the mixed world coins the dealers can bring! I love sorting and identifying world coins and buy large lots every chance I get. I definitely found some binders with affordable world coins and a few coffee cans too, but nothing in the quantity I would like. I remember years back dealers seemed more like to have bulk lots of world coins but I guess there's more money in bullion pieces. Oh, well. It was the first show since 2019 so I was happy to be there.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,096Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: