Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 Quarter Graded AU58 By Ncc

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 794Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone learn here something, somehow. you are right in your comments.

I have a really suggest to you: "Do not buy the slab, instead buy the coin. The dealer (who it is) will say: It is slabbed" you just answer" I buy the coin not the slab, and I do not ask for certification for pre-buying."
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if discoloration could be a pvc issue. Acetone bath? Or leave it as is
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Silver acetone do not do nothing. The best way without frothing it is boiled in Boric acid at an concentration of 40 to 45 %. Then rinse with very hot water and dry. Same it is for Nickel clad and Gold.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi- As far as PVC is concerned, acetone works wonders.

I've personally had great results plenty of times.

I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to when you said acetone does nothing for silver.

If you were, you sir are very wrong.

Acetone also removes dirt, debris, tape residue just to name a few.

Saying acetone does nothing is ignorant.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
07/27/2022 8:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ NumismaticsFTW:

Boric acid formula H3BO3, many use but 50% it is antiseptic (cleaning)

Acetone:

Acetaldehyde C2H4O
Propionaldehyde C3H6O
Butanone C4H8O

The most use is the Ketone (Propionaldehyde C3H6O) which you can buy. The formula show that it is Hydro-Carbonate and oxy)

All Silver coins AG (Silver have Cu (cooper) in alloy. Those hydro-Carbonate if temporarily work, will made their back-stage work also.

Ketone is good for glue, some plastics but not in the case of this coin.

Hope you understand some chemistry.

And to finish this here is the quote of a health and safety question:

Quote:
The Schiff test is a chemical test that is used to determine the presence of aldehydes in a solution. This is accomplished by reacting a small amount of the solution with Schiff's reagent.
Schiff's reagent is the end product of a reaction between a dye and sodium bisulfite. Acetone will not pass the Schiff test because it contains ketone as a functional group.

Conclusion: Using ketone you are expose to aldehydes, one of the main lung cancer agent factor.
Edited by silviosi
07/27/2022 9:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of using boric acid for coins... Is that silver only?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kerry: The Boric Acid is use from thousands of years by all goldsmiths. Is good for gold, silver and nickel. Not for cooper. Me I put the coin in cotton cheese tissue to boil because I do not want to knock the coins during the boiling. This it is one of the first steps of the restoration companies.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. So what do you recommend... I found a powder boric acid on Amazon or or os there a liquid version that
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, absolute NO. At the pharmacy you find the correct one. You need the medical boric acid. Is use for new born baby, for foots etc. Their you can ask and take the pure one. Amazon and others import from China and you never know wat it is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2815 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tomorrow morning I will put 2 coins in the treatment. One old silver and one yellow JFK from cello. You will have the answer by the photos.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 794Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: