Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Contest By Dearborn Is Here! Double Elimination Rules Apply

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 180 / Views: 9,036Next Topic
Page: of 12
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15632 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dollar amount of of the cents in the vase is:

$15.43

So here are your winners! Congradulations to each of you

keith12 $12.00
Spence $14.77
NumismaticsFTW $14.80
chipjones $15.00
nickelsearcher $15.13
SpeedDemonND $15.14
hokiefan_82 $15.36
Zurie $15.55

mrwhatisit $18.32

By my calculations:
First place is hokiefan
Second place is Zurie
Third place is SpeedDemonND

Please send me a PM/email with your data and I'll get them packaged up and sent out.
Edited by Dearborn
08/20/2022 09:27 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15632 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AS for the prizes:
I thought I had explained it at the start but apparently my old brain forgot to add it then so I'll explain it now.
First prize is the 1990 Prestige silver set - it does not come with the OGP box or COA.
Second prize is the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial silver dollar - on this one the mint had included the matte finish JFK half dollar, but I bought this set in order to myself to collect the JFK half. So, I added a 2014 Silver half dollar to fill the hole. (if you go back you will see that in the photos)
Third prize was my first portable microscope that I used for a short time until I got my coin office set up. It works great all you need to do is plug it into a laptop or desktop computer and use the 'camera' App to view the image from the scope.
Learn More...
United States
26430 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang it looks like I overestimated the weight of the vase. Great work @dear on running this contest!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Second prize is the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial silver dollar - on this one the mint had included the matte finish JFK half dollar, but I bought this set in order to myself to collect the JFK half. So, I added a 2014 Silver half dollar to fill the hole. (if you go back you will see that in the photos)

Thanks for the explanation.
And that was a fun contest
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hokiefan_82 nice guess and great job
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, Dearborn, for the interesting contest! I'll PM my address in a bit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4282 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Zurie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the challenging contest and fantastic prizes! That required a lot more calculating than I'd like to admit! PM sent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the contest!

That was fun!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15632 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A lot of us must have used a scale to weigh vases around the house :) lots of close guests. Ranging from $176 to $312.50. Looks like a few of us used 500- 700 grams for the vase.

Just for the curious, here is the actual weight of the vase I used:
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations to the winners.
Thanks for the contest.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for such a wonderful contest, Dearborn. I was spot on with the vase weight: I had it at 952g. There must have been nothing but post-1982 pennies in the vase for the last round.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5930 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job Hookiefan.

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was close to what I'd used for the weight I'd calculated (953 g) after the 1st round, and assumed 98% zincolns in the final around. As you said, SpeedDemonND, that number appears to have actually been right at 100%. It was an interesting contest - I like little math puzzles and guessing games, and this had a bit of both in every round!
Edited by hokiefan_82
08/20/2022 4:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15632 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for participating in my contest - next time I won't make the mistake of excluding the rest of the world in it. (HUGE over-site on my part)

I got all 3 winners PM's and I'll get them packaged up and in the mail by Monday (unless a universe altering event intervenes in my plans)

This was fun for me too (also a lot of work and counting)
My next task is to sort out each and every coin and make sure they are not keepers before I roll them up and sell them back to the bank.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9812 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to the winners - well guessed indeed

I missed a prize by 1 cent - despite that near miss I salute Dearborn for hosting such a captivating contest.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 180 / Views: 9,036Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: