Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 5 Cent / 5c Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 509Next Topic  
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dystor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I see that a few George V nickels have been going around this forum.
Give me your best on this one.. Key items I wish to mention:

One of my literature resources claim weak strikes affect the the grade in MS condition. However I have seen PCGS grade George V nickels with "Orange Skin" marks clear as day as MS65 and MS66.

Do you consider the obverse to be weak or strong? Affects coin grade?

EDIT: Please note, this coin is in an ICCS Plastic Film. Cannot verify if the long vertical scratches are on the coin or not..

Cheers,

Dystor

Edited by Dystor
07/31/2022 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8858 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cannot verify if the long vertical scratches are on the coin or not..
Lustre and fields trump quality of strike for this series.
At least MS63, would be higher if the scratches are on the plastic.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/31/2022 6:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24556 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-63 to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4314 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite lustrous for a 1936.
Touch of strike weakness but not bad .
Toss up . 62 maybe 63 in my opinion.
However that said ICCS could be all over
the place on this one 55,58, 60 , 62, 63 .
Looks like a fairly decent coin overall .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luster, very clean fields if those scratches are on the holder. I'm not seeing any significant marks but a few small nicks on the obverse and depending how bad the mark on the cheek is I think it's between 63-65, I think I see a few small rim Nick's but hard to tell.

Edit: as long as the week strike is not mistaken for wear I think it would go ms65+ with ICCS and MS 64 with PCGS
Edited by Wrekkdd
08/04/2022 12:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2408 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 64 to me.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike is decent. Looks like other ICCS MS-64 that I have seen.

Example of "Orange Peel" metal flow:

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: