Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Blows My Mind Why People Clean The Coins In Circulation / I Say No! Too Cleaning

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 565Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
553 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  08:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was looking through dollar coins come across some terrible coins that have been cleaned,
Cleaning it causes damage too coin and lacks appearance.

Here is a few

anybody can spot cleaned coins send images here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9293 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If only some people 'cleaned' their teeth with the same passion they clean coins...
Learn More...
Australia
14637 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin collectors generally don't clean coins and put them back into circulation. SO if these coins are getting cleaned, there's probably a very good non-numismatic reason why.

I'm assuming these are recent finds - which means they've been circulating during COVID. People were paranoid in the early stages of the pandemic; some businesses were sterilizing their coins before issuing them to the public. And some people were probably also sterilizing them at home.

Finally, there are old-fashioned pre-COVID reasons why a regular non-collector might clean a coin. If they found it outside, or even via metal detector, and it was all corroded, they'd probably clean it up to make it look more like a dollar and less like a little green rock. And don't attribute to malice something that could just as easily be accident; if someone accidentally spills Coke (or preferred equivalent) on a coin, they're going to end up with a "cleaned coin" without even trying.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1279 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

If they found it outside, or even via metal detector, and it was all corroded, they'd probably clean it up to make it look more like a dollar and less like a little green rock.

Suckers. Vending machines are much easier. Load your green rocks into the machine, hit cancel, and out come shiny gold rocks.

Also, Allcoinage - All the images you have posted never were, and never will be, worth more than $1. I personally couldn't care if they were cleaned, not-cleaned, or green rocks. If cleaned $1 coins causes angst, then I hope you never have the misfortune of encountering holed coins.
Come to think of it, I've yet to encounter a drilled Aussie coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
382 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1911 Australian One Penny, showing pre and post 'clearing' as opposed to cleaning.
The coin was soaked overnight in acetone, then rinsed in fresh acetone.
Then one drop of VerdiCare was applied and spread over the reverse side and allowed to soak in overnight.
A finely sharpened bamboo skewer stick was then used in conjunction with a USB scope / 24 inch screen to gently work away some of the softened built up debris.
The debris gets wiped away with a microfibre cloth (which through repeating this process on quite a number of coins, has become impregnated with Verdi-Care.
This part of the process took about 20 minutes.
Once finished, the coin is allowed to fully dry prior to 2x2'ing and storing.
As none of my coins are for sale, I am the only one that I need to please with these efforts and I am pretty happy with the finish.
Thanks for looking.
TT
(I think there is a world of difference between cleaning and clearing)

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
553 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some cleaning is ok as long as you know how too clean them, some just clean coin and change the colouring or make it look dull.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
553 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's ok David Graham at least they be worth more than your collection &.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1279 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's ok David Graham at least they be worth more than your collection

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't even have any of those expensive 1988 $2 HH coins, cleaned or uncleaned.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 565Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: