Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Seventh Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,875 / Views: 55,244Next Topic
Page: of 192
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very sorry, Princetane. Did it in a hurry as had an early start today. Fixed!

I didn't mind, love your posts - just a bit too observant I guess - the medieval cell phone on the IOM coin is fabulous!

Here is another coin set from 1988. This one is Dutch

I got it in a stamp auction around 2008. I find it interesting as the coins are different colours from the circulation ones. Basically its a graphic art nightmare. The more lines and hatching, the higher the denomination, also has a medal for Groningen, the city featured. The package was in English as well as Dutch.

Some separate coins!

2 Drachme, Greece, this was a reduced size copper plated steel coin which replaced a larger brass one back in 1986.

50 Escudos, Portugal - this large steel coin showed a Caravel from the 15th century and was the largest size coin of Portugal at the time.

20 Pingin - Ireland, this coin introduced 1985/86 reused the horse design that previously appeared on their halfcrowns.

5 Guilders - Netherlands, interesting to compare the wear on this one to the set piece.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
810 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1988 Canada $5 1/10 oz gold bullion coin (found in bulk world coin)

Pillar of the Community
United States
6623 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1988 proof American eagle

Pillar of the Community
United States
6623 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1988 Seoul Olympic $5

Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Muddler, I am loving all your commemorative $5 gold coins!

Meanwhile at the more common end of the American commemoratives - the 1988 Proof set!

This one is at least undamaged. I got these all very cheap years ago.
There is some toning on the coins and I may break these up eventually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6623 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane thank you, I had tried to gather a graded set of modern gold $5 until the surge in gold prices three years ago. Now @ 25 pieces I'm stalled on progression.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23063 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1988 Canada .
Dollar -- Elizabeth II 2nd portrait.

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last group of 88's. Some of these coins have been posted already - but photographing and processing takes so much effort - so up these go

Spain Peseta, by 1988 a Peseta had so little value it was an aluminium coin, but at least the same size as the old brass one. The late 90s would see another size reduction down to 14mm!

Vanuatu 100 Vatu, the French now also copied the trend for thick gold coloured coins for newly debanknoted denominations. As in many Pacific coinages, coconuts along with breadfruit (See below) feature heavily along with bananas, palms and various types of reef fish.

Luxembourg 5 Francs - a nice coin!

Samoa 50 and 20 sene coins, the 20 looks like it has been run over, thankfully it was shown by someone else. Again our friend Mr Breadfruit makes an appearance (As a Polynesian man I can say its not that tasty, but its filling and you can live off it)
Edited by Princetane
09/23/2022 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
810 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1987 Fiji 20 and 50 cents (found in circulation in Australia)

Pillar of the Community
Australia
4529 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia 50 cents

East Germany 1 pfennig

Algeria 20 centimes

Cuba 1 peso

Guernsey 5 pence

Morocco 1 santim

Portugal 100 escudos

San Marini 500 lire

Spain 200 pesetas

Suriname 250 cent

Uganda 1 shilling

West African States 25 francs

Yugoslavia 100 dinara
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group! some samples there of my goodies. Anyone sick of my overdone Aussie and Kiwi sets, needs to look away because 1987 is probably my biggest year before we hit the silver coin era (Pre 1968).

Lets start with an Aussie Uncirculated set

First thing to notice is no $2 coin, we are now pre that - $2 was a crumply and stained green banknote for people then! No commems this year but a good set to have as only the 1c and 5c were officially released in 1987 to circulate.

Yep thats your entire 1987 circulating range of coins above! So if you want a 1987 MOR or a 20c coin, buy a set

New Zealand for once was different, we have the 1c and 2c now and every denomination came out in big numbers. The family was back together!

Big numbers of coins were issued in 87 and the 1c and 2c are usually found nice as they were phased out during 1989, so only 2 years of usage - tops. And by this stage they brought a plain lolly at most. Even the 50c was in the Popsicle only territory!

The large dollar was the National Park centenary - basically the old Parks department became the Department of Conservation, with new logos and an awful song called People in Parks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4213 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1987 US dollar

Pillar of the Community
United States
6623 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1987 constitution $5

Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another mint set from me.

This is the Falkland Islands, they use the pound sterling like the UK, but get their own coin designs.

Nice coins and interesting only their has the Maklouf effigy, the others are stuck with the 1964 era Machin effigy. Many of the colonies and overseas territories got stuck with the old effigies for longer.

Pair of Twins?

Belgian 50 Franc coin

Luxembourg 50 Franc coin - similarities are peculiar

Some more coins to join the one Trigg showed earlier. It was obvious that all were stainless steel and similar size, the inflation was biting, obverse similar to the 1990 Novokh dinar.

In 1987 Yugoslavia was famous for a cheap car released in the West called a "Yugo" which sold like hot cakes because it was cheap, people soon learned why, this cheap Fiat 124 knock off did not even have a radio.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 192 Replies: 2,875 / Views: 55,244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: