Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Seventh Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,862 / Views: 54,844Next Topic
Page: of 191
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The next 8 years are just going to be your favourites - I know!
Indeed.
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11349 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck - magnificent Ikes!
More Barbados proofs from the Franklin Mint - 25 cents...

5 dollars...

10 dollars..

Whatever one says about their marketing methods and their excessive issues, the quality of the Franklin Mint's best coins was superb!
The lowest value British commemorative coin ever - FAO halfpenny from the Isle of Man!

Solomon Islands 1 cent:

Botswana 25 thebe:

Italy 50 Lire:

USA souvenir set from the Philadelphia Mint (Wot no Ike?)...

Edited by NumisRob
10/04/2022 12:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I had to 1971 to 1978 is the golden age of Ike dollars and I am sure there was a 1970 pattern too.

My USA 1977 Proof set (I liberated the coins as the packaging was broken and air got in - the Ike is okay, but nowhere on the scale of JBuck's beauties!)

Another shot of my Kiwi 1977 Dollar.

USA's nemesis at the time and world nemesis now.

Soviet Union, Commem rouble for 1980 Olympic Games, several coins of 1, 3, 5 and even 10 Roubles issued for the Games which the USA boycotted (The USSR returned the favour in 1984, leaving East Germany to scoop up all the communist bloc medals).

Even more amazing was some of these coins which showed sports, stadiums and Misha the mascot bear, were made out of bourgeois silver!

Mexico 10 pesos 1977 - a smart way to issue a higher denomination when the 1 and 5 Peso coins were large enough already, make the coin multi sided (The Brits mastered this with the 50p which was only marginally larger than the 10p, yet worth 5 x as much).

More coins later, 77 is a big year for me.
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob, just noticed the Barbados Proofs, they are stunning! I nearly brought a 1973 set, but it was very toned and stained on the silver, but have a fresh $1 coin from 1973 (I will show it).

Denmark 25 Ore - Holey coin

Portugal 5 escudos, a beautiful coin
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck - magnificent Ikes!

Quote:
Sorry I had to 1971 to 1978 is the golden age of Ike dollars

1976 is gonna be a good show.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11349 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NumisRob, just noticed the Barbados Proofs, they are stunning!

Thanks! I have some 1977 NZ proofs too, although unfortunately there are some marks on the inner plastic case...

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4068 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 1977 Jubilee crown had spent a few months as my pocket piece by the time this photo was taken.
I kept it there for a few more months, then misplaced it, and by the time I found it again I was no longer commonly carrying enough change in my pocket to be worth putting anything that big in there.

I still have it somewhere though, and might yet end up picking it up again in a few years...

No more entries for me at least until we get to 1968, which is my next pre-photographed option (then 1962, 1961, 1959, 1958, and I know I have several more dates in the 50s and 40s but I hadn't yet checked exactly which).

I will probably be travelling a lot in the next several days, and would likely be away from the bulk of my collection for most of the next several months, so unfortunately I won't be able to make new pics for a while yet. Hopefully I will return, and/or buy enough new coins to photograph those instead. My "photographed OFEY" idea is still on track for 8th edition if not even earlier.
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the proof set, you can prise it open with a blade, if you want to "rescue" the coins.

My last 1977 includes some nice shiny Singapore!

50 cents - Fancy Fish/prawn thing

20 cents - Swordfish/shark thing

1 cent - Malika Jalan type fountain with brutalist buildings

Argentina 5 and 10 Pesos, birth bicentanary of Almirante Guillermo Brown, the founder of the Argentine Navy, he was actually an Irishman called William Brown!

He was celebrated in Ireland too, on stamps in 1957 the centenary of his death. Some British were surprised in the Falklands war to see a ship in Spanish saying "Almirante Brown".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23042 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1977 G Germany.
5 Deutsche Mark Heinrich von Kleist.

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Edited by Dorado
10/04/2022 10:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23042 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1977 Belgique
5 Francs - Baudouin I French text.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23042 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1977 D US
Eisenhower dollar.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23042 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 191 Replies: 2,862 / Views: 54,844Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: