Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1813 O-109A R-5 Single Leaf Capped Bust Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2264 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  4:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wondering what everyone thinks on the grade. Keep in mind this die pair is known for weak strikes, extreme Die Deterioration, and heavy die polishing.

Most of PCGS's examples of this die pair still have some of the second leaf remaining. So, in theory, they shouldn't count as the O-109a single leaf. PCGS has 27 examples graded in total. I liked this one because it clearly only has one leaf.

All opinions welcome, and thanks in advance.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25247 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 details, environmental damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1622 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with VF20 details, Env. Damage.

Has it been dipped in acetone yet? Hoping that black gunk comes off. Really nice CBH, must not have been listed on ebay for long because I never saw it
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With an understanding of what was stated in OP...I call it a F-15...ED.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12955 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow. look at that die polishing around the shield. the entire body on the right side is gone.

VF details (ED)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2264 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gunk is just staining, nothing actually on the surface. Here is a photo with the light reflection, to see the consistent metal surface. The roughness in Miss Liberty's hair is from clashing with the bird feathers on the reverse.

Would it still details ED with staining?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1622 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks a lot better. Can we get some more pics? If the staining isn't as bad then I can see it straight grade.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the die clashing on this one--one of the Overton varieties even has the "E Pluribus Unum" motto visible on the obverse underneath the bust! The details I could see reaching VF--not sure about the surface. Really cool!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2264 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses, your opinions are much appreciated.

Quote:
Can we get some more pics?

Certainly!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12955 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say its not ED but the coin was cleaned to remove something that left the stains so I believe the coin would still receive a details designation. not sure if the number of rim hits would ED the coin though
Pillar of the Community
United States
2264 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like the die clashing on this one--one of the Overton varieties even has the "E Pluribus Unum" motto visible on the obverse underneath the bust!

I agree! The clash of the scroll right above the date is an interesting one. It is neat how sharp and easily legible the letters can be. Take a look at the 1813 O-110 pictured below (taken from Dave's Bust Half Dollar Site), it has the same obverse die used in the O-109. This die pair was struck before the O-109, so the clash is sharper. The O-109a (my original coin) has hardly any of that clashing left, as it has been lapped off on the die. You can also see that the O-109a has more impressions, as the die clashed several more times throughout its life.
O-110:

O-109a:

All of the "rim dings" on the obverse are from the edge lettering. The planchet was not perfectly level on the Castaing machine, therefore causing the lettering to bleed out onto the edge. A closeup of HALF is pictured below.

Here are a couple more interesting clashes.
The eagle's shield lines tied up in Miss Liberty's hair:

The roughness in Miss Liberty's hair from the eagle's feathers:

The LIBERTY in the headband is considerably weaker, as it starts to disappear when the the dies are lapped.
Edited by jacrispies
08/06/2022 3:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1622 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 50/50 for straight vs details. Hard to accurately judge the surfaces, but a super nice variety still
Pillar of the Community
United States
902 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F18 Details- ED and looks to be cleaned as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12955 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All of the "rim dings" on the obverse are from the edge lettering.

thanks for the side shots. after I had posted I had thought that might be what was causing it and was going to ask for a side view. your last closeup photos really look like its showing hairlines from wiping or or some type of cleaning. it doesn't mean it would not grade straight.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: