Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 S LMC RPM Or Something Different?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 570Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the outside edge is part of the normal mintmark is what you are seeing. The Machine Doubling is a very thin line that is between the with white and yellow arrows. That is how slight the Machine Doubling is. But it gives the suggest that there is a part of a RPM. But is it pushing the metal SW towards the direction of the MD.When you isolate the outside part of a mintmark and consider the push of the Machine Doubling, that you are seeing, on this image. Note the same thing is happening also on the date as well. That tells me the machine is making this difference and all other examples of this die, will not be showing it. Just this one machine doubled coin. This would never be listed as it is the only one like it. If is not a die variety, but just slight Machine Doubling.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/05/2022 8:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would it really be impossible to find an unattributed RPM for this year? Well my gosh, some years have so many, I just throw in the towel and move on.
From the knowledge and information I have acquired here, I see a RPM.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968S-1MM-001

Evidence of a second punching is needed to be a RPM
This one is a north. You can see it on the top of the mintmark and in the lower loop of the 'S'.

1968-S RPM-002
http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20L...8SRPM002.htm
S/S West on this one.

1968-S RPM-003
http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20L...8SRPM003.htm
Note this one is just showing a slight spread to the SE.

Its not the enlarged mintmark, that makes it a RPM, but evidence of two punches.

Look at the size of the Mintmark? It is not a RPM. It doesn't show a second punching. The punches enlarged the mintmark, but doesn't show a separation of the punches.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
08/05/2022 8:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I generally don't focus on rpms or modern doubled dies. Finding a variety that is not listed is possible, I can't confirm or anything I said is correct it's just opinion. I don't see the same doubling on the rest of the coin as I do in the MM. Best off listening to coop and the pros though. I'll have to do some more reading I think:)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you found this in an original roll of cents, check to see if you can find another one with the same mintmark location. Then you will know that is Machine Doubling, when you see the same markers on another coin with the same mintmark location.
Richard S. Cooper

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 570Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: