Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 P Lincoln Cent Retained Struck Though Or Damage?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 468Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I definitely missed something as I thought the event was incuse from the pictures. If it's raised I'll have to run my mind around it a bit. So if it's raised there will be more examples out there!!!if this is the retained struck through or if it's a die rent there will be sister coins out there. Always fun to try and find a matching pair of errors. I stay away from zinc personally:)

Also I appreciate the nice comment
@-makesence-, I have been more focused in learning in the little spare time I have had rather then posting my own coins...why ask questions when the answer is easy to find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sure looks like it's recessed to me. Looks like stuck through maybe a wire. If it is above the surface, then it would be a die crack and I would think there were more of them out there. And I've never seen a die crack looking that perfectly round and straight.
It is well above both the fields and devices and if it were a retained strike through, it would be mashed flush or very close to being flush, from the strike of the hammer die. I was figuring things out, as this thread went on, I just didn't have the right thought process from the beginning.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry, I definitely missed something as I thought the event was incuse from the pictures. If it's raised I'll have to run my mind around it a bit. So if it's raised there will be more examples out there!!!if this is the retained struck through or if it's a die rent there will be sister coins out there. Always fun to try and find a matching pair of errors. I stay away from zinc personally:)

Also I appreciate the nice comment
@-makesence-, I have been more focused in learning in the little spare time I have had rather then posting my own coins...why ask questions when the answer is easy to find.
I do agree that there should be more out there, if it is indeed a die gouge or what I think at this point is a die dent, maybe they have just been overlooked. At this point, it's the best fit, in my opinion.

I had just noticed your thought process and examination, with very detailed responses to different topics, lately. You have definitely been paying attention and reading up on different things, very impressive. Just nice to see someone new to coins, taking the time to understand, not just keep spouting out things.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note on your image, the raised and fields are affected equally, meaning there was something in the chamber besides the planchet. S stronger and distinct size was there that altered the strike. Just like a piece of wire during a strike.

Note the wire left a rounded trench because of the wire shape.
A cut on a coin will affect the coin differently. The trench will show a flat bottom and sometimes showing sometimes striation lines on the bottom of the trench.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not following, coop....
-makecents-
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: