Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Canadian 1950 25c Draped In Bazooka Blue And Pink

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 624Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  5:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1950 25C NGC MS65 covered in aqua, shades of gold, greens, Bazooka blue & pink (or is it cotton candy blue & pink?) Electric colors and cartwheel luster that I did not expect.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71779 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us full pics of both sides?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't trust an NGC Canadian coin tbh, I would love to see full shots of both sides. The toning to me is a bit of a red flag and I normally enjoy toned coins.

Edit: the greenish blue "toning" is not toning at all nor good for the coin. Conservation could help but I personally would stay away from this.
Edited by Wrekkdd
08/04/2022 8:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Wrekkdd - I don't trust any TPG, nobody should.

However, NGC - in my experience - is the worst at either over-grading (by as much as 20 points) attractively toned coins. For example, lots of MS63 bust halves with attractive toning out there in NGC holders are actually AU. Then I've seen multiple times where Peace dollars with wild toning gets slapped with high grades (e.g. MS66) by NGC - the toning was legit, but the toning evidently blinded the graders to all the surface marks.

I've seen many times where ICCS calls brown copper coins red and accepts AT coins. Plus ICCS is liberal about what it considers legit surfaces.

The reverse on this 1950 is the typical Canadian peripheral coin colors clinging to the metal surrounding letters - green, gold, russett.

The aqua green on this 1950 quarter are the predominant feature of the 1941 MS67 that Heritage sold last summer. (https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...ail-071515). I've also seen that same green on an MS66 1937 quarter.

I know Bazooka blue and pink are a trigger, but the surfaces on this quarter retain the correct metal flows and full cartwheel luster. Even the Canadian "thumbprint" is correct. But hey, anything is possible in the rare coin game.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have specified more. The bright blue colour inside the ear and in the fine hair lines.... If I'm not mistaken that's active corrosion and a problem. It does look like a nice coin but I'd personally crack it out and send it to PCGS and pay for conservation...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-65 but I'm not a fan of the toning.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I located the "Boppsee Twin" 50 cent to this quarter. It too has the Bazooka\cotton candy blue & pink. This coin is certified by PCGS while mine by NGC. PCGS is OK with this color as well.

Compare the colors of the 1950 quarter in OP and then this 1944 50 cent for sale on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354199612456

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4353 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfectly acceptable toning and colour pattern on the OP
Coin .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...very nice coin...I do prefer the type of toning on the obverse as compared to that on the reverse.

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 624Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: