Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another New Person Introduction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  6:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Mostly new collector. I am getting into collecting curtesy of my son. He attended a Boy Scout coin collecting merit badge class at a local coin show a few weeks ago. He is autistic and always liked playing with coins but not so much collecting other than putting into a piggy bank. After the class he spent a week digging through his horde trying to fill a Roosevelt penny card (1959 and newer). He is now try to fill his nickel book. Dimes are next. As well as state and parks quarters.

The class was really well done. Even the parents sitting in the back enjoyed it. At the end they toot the kids into the show. A number of vendors were talking coins and most gave a wheaty or worn Buffalo nickel. The scouts loved it.

Question. When do you stop asking for change in coins and not bills? We already came across the new Mankiller quarter and a 1944 just in change.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46553 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You could go to your bank and ask for rolls of coins to look through
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and congrats on your son having so much fun and drawing you in as well.

Most of us never stop asking for change. We usually ask for extra!
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Get some rolls from a bank, put the nice ones in a folder, and let your son play with the rest.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome

Visiting the bank to get some rolls is in the future. My challenge is tempering the fun of getting the roll and searching for ones he is missing from the board.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1451 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5083 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As others have said, searching bank rolls is a great way to get a start on filling out a beginning collection. And, occasionally there are nice surprises to be found!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
21166 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: