Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Bronze Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 898Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5288 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  11:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am placing this topic here because I believe that the one cent coin no longer is a circulating coin in Canada. If that is in error, please let me know or move this to the appropriate location.

I have in my possession roughly 46,500 Canadian cents. They were part of a 5 ton + hoard of bronze cents that had been accumulated in Massachusetts over a period of over 20 years or more.

I sorted the coins into the following groups:

George V ..................................104**
George VI ............................. 2,657*
Elizabeth Young head ........... 7,420*
Elizabeth Tiara 1st Type ...... 16,151*
Elizabeth Tiara 2nd Type ..... 16,417*
Elizabeth Diadem Bronze ...... 2,964*
Bronze culls .............................. 518**

Other non-bronze ...................... 212**

* Calculated by weight (count is +/- 80)
** Counted by hand

In the entire group, there were only 2 US cents and 212 non-bronze types.

Now I need to dispose of them. The local refiner here will give me only $ 1.60 per pound as salvage. This comes to only $ 453. I presume some of them are valuable as collector coins. There are 4 George V cents that are better than EF for instance.

What would be an actual market value for such coins as collector items?

Should I sort them roughly by condition and sell them in bulk by grade or would the time not justify the return? The costs of shipping seems to be a limiting factor that would make small sales difficult.

In all events I am working against a scrap price just under 1 cent US per coin. With the US cents (about 5 tons) a bulk sale at 1.5 cents per coin was accepted. Buyer paid shipping costs. They were picked up so actual shipping cost is unknown.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45798 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been selling large lots of Canadian small cents on eBay for some time. My experience is the Geo. V will get 3x to 5x face, the Geo VI will get 2x to 3x face, the Eliz YH will get 2x face, the rest will get face. These prices are in USD and do not include shipping.

Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1341 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on date.

George V 1922-1925 can carry a good premium. Most other dates not much unless in good condition

Check out varieties on coinsandcanada.com for a rough estimate.

I'm not sure if there is time effective way to sort through all that or cost effective way.

Limited value after 1925 (some exceptions) due to high supply, unless MS coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4406 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As suggested above, go to the CoinsAndCanada site to see the less than 10 dates that will result in "premiums" for certain dates. Some of the dates are mentioned above. Where are you located? There may be a variety/error collector living nearby that will eliminate any shipping
Pillar of the Community
United States
2257 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With the US cents (about 5 tons) a bulk sale at 1.5 cents per coin was accepted.
I am confused by this. It is illegal to melt US cents for their copper. It is also illegal to ship them outside the US for melting.

You also say that there were only 2 US cents in the group but then you imply that you have 5 tons of them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree...can't melt US cents or send them out of country with that intent!! Why don't you post the Canadian GV & GVI as a CCF Sales post?

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1765 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not legal melt Canadian silver either I don't think but it happens pretty much every day.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is any coin minted in Canada that is legal for melt, bills are a different story but I don't recommend trying to melt them for there paper content:p

I think any pre 1970 cents are worth saving if they are in decent shape. You could always throw a few starter sets together, I imagine that will be the best premium for a large lol. If I lived near by I would jump on them to check for errors and varieties.

If there is any cent from 1922-1925 definitely put them aside as they all carry a premium even in very low grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2257 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the US it is legal to melt US silver coins, but not copper or nickel if such melting is done to profit from the metal content. I'm sure it happens here too, but 5 tons worth I would not be publicizing on a forum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1341 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is about melting CAD, not US coins, in the US that is fine. US coins were sold to someone else.

Could also try selling off George V and VI as a lot. Might be some money in that, but not much.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All and alla grade is everything. If you have any cents pre 1966 in EF or higher they are worth putting aside imo. Even my dad set dosnt have many pre 1960 cents in EF. It's a set up have been not very focused on but I could see a decent premium for anything pre Elizabeth in VF-ef, even more dining au+

I'm not sure about legalities in the USA for melting forign coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4984 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just shipping costs alone makes any deal almost impossible
Valued Member
Canada
393 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have more effort then what it's worth unless you love the hobby and want to spend the time looking through them. Bulk out the George V and George VI at prices 1960NYGiants suggests, maybe try your luck bulking out the young head and if that doesn't work out scrap those and then scrap the rest. Shipping makes these deals extremely difficult and in my experience significantly more prone to problems.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4314 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth the time or the effort as shipping would kill any deal .
The average collector would be shocked at how many mint
Sealed bags (20 and 60 face bags ) still exist from the early 1960s .
BU roll deals from the late 1940s to 1959 are still encountered on an
Infrequent basis . Most dealers in Canada have more than enough
George V and VI circs that would last several decades !
Simply put no one collects by Whitman penny boards any more .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5288 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few things that need clearing up.

First, I took on this project because the alternative was to potentially see the lot melted with NO review by a collector. I am not being paid for my time. It was my decision because things have been slow lately. The pennies were sorted into US and Canada before I got them and I took possession of the Canadian.

The US cents were partially sorted by type. Many of the wheat back cents had been pulled out of the group. I took possession of about 200 rolls of wheat back cents. They are all dated 1940 and after with no mint marks in the 1940s and a few dozen rolls of 1950s with D mints. These came in an ammo box completely filled with rolls. Perhaps the intent was to roll all of the wheat cents, but I cannot believe that only 200 rolls came out of 5 tons. This hoard was started before 2000 and continued for 20 years.

The 5 tons of US cents (mostly memorial and all bronze) went to a local "collector" in Rhode Island and those coins never traveled south to my area (North Carolina - near Fayetteville). I do not believe the intent was melting but I really do not know.

In the lot of George V, I have found a decent 1925 George V full crown bands but there is a corrosion spot on the reverse. How that spot would downgrade the coin (which is otherwise VF+) is an issue that I am unsure of.

The George V coins are very manageable as there are only 104 of them. I already excluded culls from that group and tossed them into the melt group. I have also divided them by approximate grade. I was wondering if the examples under Fine (57 coins) should just be melted? The rest (47) are F or better with at least 4 possessing some luster and grading EF.

The George VI group is not huge (about 53 rolls). I plan to look for varieties and grade those coins as well. Several approach MS but I cannot recall the specific dates. Again, I would tend to put those under Fine in the melt group.

I did plan to sort at least up to the Elizabeth Young heads into three categories MS/AU, EF and VF - the rest F and below are marginal.

Everything after that may never be searched in complete detail.

I may end up buying the entire lot for fun, simply because I was contacted today about disposing of a large estate collection of non-US material mostly silver. If that comes through, I might need to stop sorting cents for a while. Just to clear my head.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 898Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: