Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 D Penny What Are All The Lines Running Through It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 706Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
604 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ok on my 1999 D penny what is all up with all them lines running through it on obverse and reverse plus on the obverse of it is it my imagination or is ether the liberty or the 1999 slanted just a little bin

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "lines" are from some sort of contaminate, that was already on the sheet of metal that the planchets were cut out of. These contaminates may have been on the roller and spread out evenly, like you see on both sides. After being plated with copper, these contaminates were trapped and over time raised up. As for LIBERTY and the date, they look normal to me.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12280 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60422 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. Rolling lines. These are actually on the planchet, and not on the die:

Note the unstruck area? Then note you can still see them after the strike, but not as strong.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like parallel lines indicative of roller marks from dirty rollers which press planchet metal to their desired thickness. Some mistakingly think they are 'improper alloy mix' errors which are different ('woody') https://www.error-ref.com/improper-alloy-mix/

"roller marks" refers to marks left when rolling out the stock from which blanks are punched. This effect is quite common in copper-alloy cents from the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Edited by datadragon
08/05/2022 1:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thanks and so there not collectible so no premium
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ok thanks and so there not collectible so no premium

Not sure. With older coins like morgans, the roller marks added no extra value to a coin and if extreme enough can actually lower the grade of the coin a point or two and lower the value of the coin. Improper alloy mixes found on older coins and Lincoln cents prior to 83 do have added value. A woodie is an improper alloy mix for example. Roller marks on Lincoln cents are found more commonly in the 70s and 80s (78-82 Lincoln cents and nickels had lots of 'narrow striped cents') but also have been turning up looking more like yours on the 82 and later zinc cents. Because of that, it may be worthwhile to hold onto to have it looked at later by someone with far more experience, and this is a nice example. I have not looked into any sales or valuations at this time on the modern common ones such as 78-82 or a zinc one like yours. Ill just assume for now that the right collector might buy while others would have no interest and put no value on them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thank you and I will hang on to it thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Teaching Earth Science...I'd like to say they are "glacial striations"...but not.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12280 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thank you
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 706Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: