Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS Or NGC For Large Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 474Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is either one of these known to be more of the authority or more desired than the other for slabbed large cents?

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS is running a special this month that applies to large cents. IMO they are just as solid in getting to a technical grade on early coppers and are probably best with varieties in general. If you are looking to get them slabbed for safety/preservation and save a few bucks, it worth considering.

If this is about potential resale $, PCGS overall seems to pull a tad more weight that NGC in the market from what folks say. (Not something I have the time or will to go prove)

My personal opinion and experience is that the early coppers are kinda open to all sorts of interpretation. Strike quality and how the various TPG account for the rampant corrosion have always been issues in producing consistent labels on the slabbed coins, what gets a details vs what gets a net grade vs what is simply accepted as market acceptable. I question the numerical grades all the time when I see these in slabs. Lots of moments of "huh?" and "ok, if you say so" and "if the one to the right got a F12, how is that one only a VG8?, etc.

Might be one of the reasons why many of the dealers that focus on the early coppers have their tables full of inventory just in flips or old paper envelopes. Submissions on these is an expensive way to prove a crapshoot.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
08/05/2022 6:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5586 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS is thought better of so tends to get more when sold.
But IMO PCGS and NGC are equals.

Right now I'm using NGC because their turnaround time is a lot better.

As for ANACS I use them only common 20th century items.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Via Goito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, I've read that, as a general rule, PCGS is better for North American coins whereas NGC is a better choice for non US coinage (Europe, Asia, Latin America). I've no idea if there's any truth to that, but when I wanted to slab some LMU gold received through inheritance, this was a popular notion.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responding to the post you all. I actually had forgotten until now that I asked the question 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to put together a set of problem free large cents since my original set from when I first started to collect as an adult is almost completely unslabbed with a lot of the coins having undesirable characteristics that wouldn't produce a straight grade if they were sent in. I thought that having a slabbed set would be nice to own and I'm not necessarily looking for anything high end at all and would love it if I could stay under $200/coin on average (not including '93, '99 and '04 from that equation).

Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide helpful input.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: