Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade, Variety, & Proper Conservation Advice On This 1801 Draped Bust Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired an 1801 Draped Bust Large Cent at auction, and I wanted to get some thoughts from my fellow coin collectors on the coin. As evidenced by the photos, the coin displays phenomenal detail. With that said, I understand that it is the subject of some relatively severe environmental damage. Bearing that in mind, I know that the coin will never be restored to its old "pre-corrosion" form, but is there anything that I can do to conserve the coin and potentially remove some of the gunk? Additionally, what are your thoughts on the grade and variety of the coin? Might this cent be a good candidate for PCGS/NGC conservation? I'd love to hear everyone's responses, and as always, sorry for the suboptimal photos.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a candidate for Verdi-Care.
Learn More...
United States
24167 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin, are those green areas powdery at all when you poke at them with a wooden toothpick? If so, then this cent may have bronze disease and you should isolate it from the rest of your collect to treat that. If the green is stable, then that is good news.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @Spence, I prodded it in several areas where the green residue is present, and the green seemed to be stable. None of the residue came off after gentle use of the toothpick, nor did it sway from side to side at all. Thanks!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bright green corrosion is sometimes indicative of CLR use
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4310 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is hooped , the corrosion appears to be right
Into the metal . Looks like hard green verdigris in places .
Just soak it in acetone for about 8 hours . Air dry about ten seconds .
Then soak it it olive oil or any other light oil for
Say a month or so . Be about the best you could
Hope for .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5566 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 17 varieties of 1801 Large Cents.
And that's ignoring die state.

Your images look like it was foggy when you took them.
Image size is good.
Grade appears to be in the XF range.
Likely a DETAILS coin.
And the coin needs to be square with the camera.

I've got the reference for IDing the variety.
I just need better images to work with.

Don't handle the coin with your hands/fingers.
The organic compounds and acids will degrade the coin over time.

As for "restoring" it, try acetone.
(WARNING: Read and follow the instructions on the container.)
Unlikely to help much but it won't hurt it.
Then let someone examine it.
Do that before trying Verdi-Care.
Verdi-Care will make permanent changes and you need to make sure those changes are not overly negative.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kanga is absolutely right. I spoke in haste recommending Verdi Care.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Virgin Olive Oil (VOO) to treat the Verdigris...always successful...'ol timers treatment.

KK
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kanga, I borrowed a family member's phone, so here are some better pictures of the coin. Thanks for your time, and hopefully these pictures help.

Pillar of the Community
Germany
1643 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Sheldon 223, Rarity 1.
The fraction in the reverse reads 1/000.

Breen notes it was actually struck in 1802.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the attribution help @GERMANICVS. That's neat that the coin was actually struck in 1802. Looking at some price guides, the value of an 1801 1/000 cent in XF ranges from $3700 all the way up to $5000, depending on the price guide you're using. With that said, two questions: First, what do you all think the value of this coin might be? Second, I've never sent a coin in for grading, but might this coin be worthy of being sent to PCGS/NGC for grading and potentially conservation? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1643 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]With that said, two questions: First, what do you all think the value of this coin might be? Second, I've never sent a coin in for grading, but might this coin be worthy of being sent to PCGS/NGC for grading and potentially conservation? Thanks!/quote]

I am afraid the value could be quite low due to the extensive damage to the reverse. This being a common variety, this cent carries no 'rarity' premium. Maybe $200-300 (?)
I hope you are not too dissapointed.
Edited by GERMANICVS
08/08/2022 03:58 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: