Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1939 Dollar PCGS MS63 Green Splatter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any thoughts on the green splatter on the reverse of this 1939 dollar?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first guess would be PVC discoloring, but it looks like an inert holder. How long have you had this, and has it always been in this holder?
Edited by Coinfrog
08/05/2022 6:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply! I've had it for about three years-bought it in the holder. I don't know when it was sent it for grading.
Here's the PCGS report: https://www.PCGS.com/cert/13481423
It sure does look like PVC green to me... : (
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19851 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Needs a combination of adverse environmental factors for the 200 parts fine copper to produce the green spots you see here.

Factors in this case could be:
-included gunk, - providing some aggressive chemistry
-moisture trapped in the holder,- acts as a chemical transport medium at the spotting sites and takes part in green salt formation, and
-200 parts fine copper.

If the holder is acrylic plastic, that is not the cause. Pictures suggest hard acrylic plastic.

In most environmental circumstances, this sort of green spotting will not occur, even if only 0.800 fine silver.

Give it a good acetone soak, and with bit of luck, the green spotting will disappear, hopefully without leaving any obviously visual sort of damage.

I find it impossible to believe that PCGS would not be obliged to comment on the green spotting, if present at the time of grading, so I must conclude that moisture and gunk was not visually obvious.

If it is not taken out of the holder, I suspect that the green spotting will only get worse.

Excellent pictures, but grade seems closer to MS-62, to my eye. Obverse better.
Edited by sel_69l
08/06/2022 06:45 am
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l
Thanks! All good info. Agree on the grade as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24556 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 coin, but the PVC damage will drop it to details grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: