Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Thoughts On This 1810 Capped Bust Half

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 931Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, these were the best photos I could get. I tried to get the cheek, hair, and feathers under some light, so hopefully, these will help in your assessments of the grade. I've looked at the coin several times, and as I noted earlier, I don't think that it is cleaned. I've examined the coin under 10x magnification, and I don't see any hairlines, discoloration, or other indications of cleaning. There is a light film on the coin that almost makes it look like the surfaces have been altered; however, I don't think that they have been messed with. The coin does not have a blue hue in hand, even though these pictures suggest it might.

Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beautiful piece! There might be a trace of wear in the hair, I'd say AU-58+, but MS-62 wouldn't surprise me.

My thoughts exactly!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58, a monster coin, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1622 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58, not cleaned. Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8050 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice ! AU58
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I'm stoked to hear that almost everybody thinks this coin is borderline MS. I sometimes struggle to differentiate between high AU coins and MS coins. With that said, where is the tiny trace of wear on this coin that holds it back from reaching an uncirculated grade? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2288 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hold my initial opinion, this coin is not original. Either dipped out or scrubbed out. Bust halves just aren't found this way naturally. The luster is not as strong as it should be. AU-58 cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing the second set of pics...I'm kinda agreeing that this coin was re-furbished in some manner.

KK
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My photos don't quite do the coins justice. They make it look like it has discolored surfaces, when in reality, there's just a really light film over the coin that is slightly subduing the luster. Here are the photos from the seller, which although not perfect, give a slightly better representation of the coin and its surface quality.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
965 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to make a final result on this coin. Try to take a photo in natural light, without artificial light, so that we can see the field without glare from the lamp.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 931Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: