Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 P LMC Unusual Die Crack

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 944Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3272 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With it going up onto the rim as it does, it reminds me of a retained strikethrough.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a conventional die crack. While it's a bit wider than usual, it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mahaloz Mike!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a crack this long and wide, why would it take 56 years to be discovered? How many thousands of these were minted? This coin looks to be an EDS. They wouldn't retire the die for this, there should be thousands of them out there. Not something that would be looked over and not saved by someone.I That's why I think this is a one-off strike through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3237 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with CuJohn about why was not before discovery. The 66 strike 120 to 150 coins by die. Other thing, the die crack so large and the Rim is not affected? the die crack inside near the border so long and large and the tinny concave side of the die resist and do not crack?

I am sorry this time I do not agree with Mike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5805 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very cool die crack! Unusually large. I remembered this post from a while ago from the same die:

http://goccf.com/t/344898

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3237 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes COINH, but that coin is not same with this one, complete different. Just put the two photos one near other and you will see the differences.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a couple more photos for everyone to chew on. The points that 1) Why hasn't this been discovered before & 2) Why is not more of the die affected by a large crack as this seem valid. I'm no die expert though. From the photos I don't see a separation from the feature and the die as you would see in a delam or struck through case so a die crack makes sense to me. Thanks for the discussion CCF.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11070 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a die crack - a long thin, tall one that possibly got folded over. (like a Rim Fin) Looking at it again, a crack that wide you would see movement or separation of the memorial. Also as Spence states, this is a location where we see lots of die cracks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinHunter27 I stand corrected. There are 2 of them out there. Blows my one-off strike through explanation clear out of the water. Still weird how wide and flat it is. I wonder if COC will list this as a die crack or a cud. I see some that wide listed as a cud. 55 and 57 have a couple.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CoinHunter27 for that link. I must have missed your post earlier but that is a great reference and shows this was happening to other 66 dies.

Cujohn, you are right that this could be considered a cud, at least in comparison to others listed. It is wider than several of those 57's.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 944Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: