Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 D Lincoln Wheat Penny With A Closed Letter "B" In Liberty And Backwards 1 In 1958

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 741Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  01:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LincolnUsCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks in advance for the concise comments and knowledge that you all share. I have a few questions about his 1958 D Lincoln Wheat penny? I originally noticed what appears to be a backwards 1 in the date and upon further study noticed a closed letter "B" in Liberty. I am certain that you all have more specific terms to explain what is going on with this coin. ty

Learn More...
United States
24845 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@linc, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes that is an interesting cent you have posted. In both cases, there was a small die chip on the die when this cent was struck. The broken post caused the top loop of the letter B to be filled in, while the chip in the date caused the number one to have a right-sided arm coming off the top. I don't think there would be a numismatic premium for these, but it is still a fun find.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46665 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The 1 looks like it took a hit. The B is common.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71863 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a hit on the 1 as well.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
......Die chip for "B"...circulation hit on "1".

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
9398 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a circulation hit on the 1 and a broken post die chip in LIBERTY.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnUsCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment and share your expertise. You truly make this forum a congenial place to gain wisdom by teaching and answering questions that I am certain you have answered many many times. I am learning so much from all of you but have many more questions to come.

In regards to this particular coin, I just noticed that this topic has been addressed on this forum before, the first time a similar coin was posted was 02/09/2015 "1958 D Wheat penny With "Backwards" One"

I have much to learn and must ask how there were several other members who chimed into the original post who also had a 1958 penny with a Backwards one. To me it would be improbable that so many of these coins could take an identical circulation hit on the 1 and only the ones minted in 1958 would be vulnerable to this outcome.

If it was a small die chip that caused the eye catching aberration why would they continue striking coins with this noticeable defect? Would this not be a mint error if this is the case? Can anybody explain how an error would be admitted by the mint to have them be accountable for their oversight? Is there a process or required number of instances that can change the official stance? Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46665 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die chip on the 1 would not be an error,it would be a variety.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF Yes that is a known die chip on the 1 I have ran across a few of them. It is a very minor chip. If they stopped the machines and replaced the die for every die chip in the 50s they would still be making 58s now. They ran dies in the 50s till they almost fell apart. When one machine produces 750 coins a minute, there is going to be a lot of little chips, die gouges, breaks, clashes, and other die events. Most of them carry little premium.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LincolnUsCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could somebody please tell me why my poll was removed?
Learn More...
United States
24845 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@linc, sorry but I'm not seeing where you had a poll in the first place. One of the other mods may have felt that a poll wasn't the best way for you to ask your questions, but I'm not sure. I see your ticket so give us a little time to sort things out pls. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i am almost certain that I have a "50"s" coin with a similar "1"..
mine is in fairly high grade.. I am sure mine is a die chip..

i spent some time going through my photographed coins - but I can not locate it for proof..

i believe this coin has a die chip - on the one..

if I can locate mine - I will post it...

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21975 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it was a small die chip that caused the eye catching aberration why would they continue striking coins with this noticeable defect?

Because if they stopped the presses and threw out every die with a chip in it, they would never get any work done. Chips are extremely common.

Quote:
Could somebody please tell me why my poll was removed?

Because there is no need for 2 topics on the same coin.

And now you just posted pictures of this coin in an old topic, so that would've been 3 topics talking about the same coin. Completely Unnecessary.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11184 Posts
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21975 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And now you just posted yet ANOTHER poll even after you knew the other one was purposely removed. Would've been four times.

Since I've answered your in post questions and responded to your email and you continue, you're account is locked until I get an explanation.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 741Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: