Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 S Morgan Grading Thanks

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,234Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13362 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MS-64, obverse is nice but the reverse is chattered up. A morgan should have a better reverse to make that 65 grade.

I'm not seeing any chatter other than die polish lines. is this what you are referring to or the couple little marks on the field by the right wing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
KopperKen- AU55?

NumFTW...please read my comments after my first post.

KK
Valued Member
New Zealand
119 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NZStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kopper Ken dont worry about it.

Is it worth grading these types of coins for future preservation and to try maintain the grade? I see my kids getting these and not knowing anything about coins will put their fingers over them, wear the surfaces down, rub them or turn into jewelry etc. Even the frosty appearances on some coins I could see them rubbing that off.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13362 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it worth grading these types of coins for future preservation and to try maintain the grade?

at MS64 its borderline gradable. at MS65 it would be worth slabbing. it your objective is to protect the coin there are many holders that will at substantially less cost. Lucite holders or even air tights will help maintain the coins. if I was planning on passing the coin down I would go this route. imo I dont think it would make 65
Pillar of the Community
United States
1271 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at this one for a little bit...question...what is going on from the outline of her forehead to the tip of her nose? The same outline occures on some of the left hand side leaves on the reverse? How about the mark by her eye...kind of looks like a die chip? This is only visable when zoomed in...
Could you post close-ups of those areas?
MS-64
smat
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1186 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consistently I see people say it isn't worth slabbing something less than $150 in value, but I disagree. If you like it, plan to keep it, want it protecting, and want the excitement of waiting for and then receiving the grade, then go ahead and get that bad boy slabbed. Also, slabbed coins are so much easier to sell if you ever wish to part ways. I have plenty of coins of value under $100 that I slabbed, for those aforementioned reasons.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you like it, plan to keep it, want it protecting, and want the excitement of waiting for and then receiving the grade, then go ahead and get that bad boy slabbed. Also, slabbed coins are so much easier to sell if you ever wish to part ways. I have plenty of coins of value under $100 that I slabbed, for those aforementioned reasons.

I second this, they are all solid reasons to slab.

If you have a few coins in a similar situation, ANACS is running a monthly special of 14 coins for $139+ shipping. I have taken advantage of their specials a couple times and have been more than content with the service. Like any submission to any TPG, one always hoped a couple got the next higher numerical grade, but I paid them for an opinion and they gave me an honest one.

I have kids at home, and someday hope to pass my collection on to them. For now, having some coins slabbed allows me to let them hold and appreciate daddy's favorite coins without daddy out. So to me, that $10-20 slabbing on many coins where I can now let them hold the coins is well worth it to me. Also, if one day the coins go to sale, the ease of sale and the higher $ received will find a way to pay for the overall slabbings. If I have spent $1K over the years on slabbing, I feel that even on these $75-150 coins in bulk, that they will net for more than $1K than they would have if left raw.

As a commodity, an 1880-S isn't an ultra rare coin that legends are written about in the form of newspaper headlines like an 1893-S or and 1804. But if this coins means something to you and makes you happy and is something that allows you to share a moment of joy with the kiddoes, then by all means, you do what you want to do with it.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
08/11/2022 10:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno...I think coins are slabbed more so to keep their numismatic value (which at times can be highly manipulated) rather than preserving the actual coin. Coins from the 1800's on up...and even earlier...can be found in pristine condition...didn't have slabs then...just good old coin cabinets and envelopes. I like to hold my coins and lets my kids hold them (waiting for grandkids)...of course teaching them the proper way. Slabs are so sterile!!!

KK
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: