Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Problem Identifying Varieties Of "S" Mintmark Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 259Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope this is in the correct forum:

Where can I go to tell the difference between "S" mint strikes?

I have just found an Ellis Island 2017 "S" quarter in the wild. (Not my first wild "S" find)

I want to list it into my Numista database, but there are three different choices for this coin: Circulation quality not released for circulation (NIFC); Enhanced Uncirculated: and Proof.

As there are no photos nor descriptions to identify which is which, I have no way of knowing which variety I have.
Because of this I always list the ones I find as NIFC.

Will someone please provide me a link which can help me clarify the differences so that I can properly list them?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...20Styles.htm
You should be able to tell the difference by looking at the coin not the mint mark.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/09/2022 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you asking what the mint mark S looks like or what the whole coin texture looks like? For example; proof is mirror like comes in silver and clad, normal circulation which can be purchased from mint in rolls or bags, enhanced where the texture is dull like but of good strike and can be purchased as a set. So there are 4 different S mint marks for 2017. Not all years have enhanced, it was for the 225th anniversary.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddguy is correct. They made 3 different strikes that year with S Mint Marks: Circulation, Enhanced and Proof.

Circulation and Proof strikes are pretty self-explanatory, but here's a link that will show you what the "enhanced" coin looked like. It's basically a reverse proof and only came in sets (hence the "not intended for circulation" label):

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...nd-np/655147

Hope this helps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 259Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: