Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 S LWC 1MM-009 (WRPM-017)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 425Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have posted this coin before but am continuing to try and get better photos of this obscure MM. What I am finding is there may be not enough evidence available for more conclusions. What do you guys see here? This is listed as a MM over an inverted MM which I would think would be a desirable variety but maybe a BU example needs to be found first. The photos and examples on Wexlers and Coppercoins aren't great and VV doesn't list this one at all.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds

http://www.doubleddie.com/1504414.html

1947s-1mm-009 (WRPM-017) S over inverted S

Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your images how the areas well. (Especially the inverted colors.)

I can see how this could be the S over inverted S.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it for 1947-S 1 WRPM-017 but cannot find a single flow line, gouge or any other marker to help my belief. I felt Wexler had the better pic to work with but as you said, not good. Here is a side by side of Wexler's example and yours, maybe someone can see something I do not. The flow lines go against what I believe....
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/09/2022 8:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11081 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
makecents- I forgot to mention the dies scratches on reverse through the second T in STATES are a match on Wexlers site.

Thanks for looking!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.
Lots of die scratches through STATES and MERICA that match Wexlers images.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I guess I have missed the point then. Are you questioning whether the listing is a re-punched inverted S or even a variety at all? I suppose I should have looked up your previous thread for more insight.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a match.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I guess I have missed the point then. Are you questioning whether the listing is a re-punched inverted S or even a variety at all? I suppose I should have looked up your previous thread for more insight.

Thanks Makecents for your comment. I think it is an interesting variety that not a lot of collectors know about but you are right about me questioning what it is. Like I noted originally, this variety isn't well documented. VarietyVista doesn't list it which is odd and Coppercoins has a blurry example. Have we heard of any other examples of a MM over an inverted MM? Inverted MM's are sought out by variety collector's but this one doesn't seem to get much attention. Honestly, to me, it doesn't look like an inverted serif. It looks more like an unevenly abraded D under an S to me but even then I wouldn't say for sure. By attempting better photos I'm trying to get more eyes and opinions on to what this might be and just overall more documentation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha. I have watched many varieties/errors that you have acquired and am sure you will come up with a BU example that will help prove or possibly disprove what is currently in place. I understand the "dog with a bone" attitude and will follow your progress. That is one thing I have loved, in my short stint with coins, many and or most things, are not set in stone, forever changing with new studies, information and fact proven evidence. For whatever reason, that seems to a major issue for most numismatists and for the most part, the longer they have been in it, the tougher the change can be.

Good luck!
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: