Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1547 "Moon" German Thaler

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  11:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone tell me if this coin is particularly scarce? And what a good price for it would be in XF or AU condition?

Thanks! I know it is the Brunswick-Luneberg thaler--is there any more information any of you know about it? Was it really minted in 1547? Thanks so much.

Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  12:33 am  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a real coin that's really from 1547. It's pretty scarce but there are some auction archives.
This piece sold for $1800 back in 2021: https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...-gold-shield
This ungraded piece sold for 1200 euros this summer: https://www.kuenker.de/en/auktionen/stueck/328768
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a cool design on such an old piece.
Learn More...
United States
24777 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@adam, here is a link to the numista page with a little more info for your research:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces114721.html

These old Thalers are pretty spendy, which is why some folks (like myself) focus on fractional silver from this era.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71678 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great design for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the design...I think it is very innovative for the period.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a fantastic coin! And with an unusual motif, for sure.

Not knowing anything about these coins, but I just had to find out why on earth the city of Lüneburg chose to have the Man in the Moon on its coins . And there is a reason, of course, and I thought I might as well share my findings with you.

The crescent moon is actually part of the large coat of arms of Lüneburg, as can be seen on for instance the 2 thaler in this Numista link (look to the top left): https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces297225.html

As I suspected, and which is hinted at in one of the auction links @collector.detector provided, it has to do with associating the Latin word for the moon, luna, with the name Lüneburg. The Latin name for Lüneburg is Lunaburgum - Moon City - and according to a medieval myth the name stems from that Julius Caesar founded a temple on a nearby mountain in honor of the goddess Luna when he and his armies campaigned in Northern Germany.

A good story, and maybe useful at the time to promote the historical importance of the city as part of the Holy Roman Empire. But, just a story ... Caesar never reached that far north in Germany, and he didn't particularly revere Luna.

Instead, the Luna/Lüne part of the city's name may come from the Langobardic word hliuni, meaning "refuge site."

The inscription, VISITAVIT NOS ORIENS EX ALTO, also intrigued me. Something like "visited us from the east high" - perhaps something to do with the moon and its rising in the east?

Nope. It is part of a Bible citation: Luke 1:78, "per viscera misericordiae Dei nostri, in quibus visitavit nos, oriens ex alto," which in the King James translation is "through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us." This passage from the Bible is about John the Baptist, who is patron saint for Walsrode Abbey, the oldest monastery (founded 986) in the Principality of Lüneburg. Also, St John's Church in Lüneburg is the city's oldest church. So it is all about St John, who is also depicted on some other Lüneburg coins.

Thank you for sharing this very interesting coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2380 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin and history!
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank YOU for the history!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
960 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin, great story
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a number of these floating around the market. Recently, there was one (1 Taler or 1/2 Taler IIRC) graded NGC AU53 listed on eBay by NFC (The Numismatic Financial Corporation). It was there a few days ago in their list of items for sale, but now it is not. They could just be in the process of re-listing it. Their price was $3.500 USD. I submitted a request to TNFC for more infos about the coin. Searching their inventory, the design caught my eye and I started to read old auction records. It seems to be legitimately rare, with multiple design types on top of the multiple denominations (e.g. 1/2 and 1/4 Taler).

Nice research erafjel. Thank you.

One (Taler) was included in the Garrett collection so it must have been important within numismatic circles at that time. The Goldberg re-sale of the Garrett specimen:

https://auctions.goldbergcoins.com/...n-Taler-1547

If I find out anything additional I shall post it here.
TNF states that their specimen is no longer for sale and that they have no infos.

Edit: Found this short video -
OxQZQH6zUq4
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/11/2022 4:57 pm
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
erafjel,
THANKS for that bit of history.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5514 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not very scarce. One can find 74 sales on acsearch over the last 15 years, which does not fit my definition of scarce.

But it is a popular type, so it is valuable.
Learn More...
United States
23712 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the education and info on the "Moon" coin.

KK
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinFacts Wiki also lists the 1546 variant

https://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/...ler_Dav-9418

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: