Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926-S Buffalo Nickel For Your Opinions

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 2,226Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not trying to beat a dead horse here. The weight is 4.9g. There isn't a
seam. I think I've gotten the lighting down and used my macro lens on these.

Edited by Jerry Picker
08/13/2022 10:33 am
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the latest images it looks good.

I see tell-tale natural color of the nickel - e.g. areas of light brown-gray.

On the reverse there are a couple of parallel streaks of light brown that are seen on Buffalos.

Good for you! Congrats.

XF 45

Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/14/2022 12:17 am
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me....
I agree, needs to be authenticated.
Not sure about AU, I say XF-45.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit that the photos posted on 8/12 make it look like one of those Chinese washed over counterfeits.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4230 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any luster hiding in the protected areas on this one? Or do the surfaces appear evenly flat as they do in the images? Reason I ask is there may have been an older chemical cleaning on this one.

The first couple sets of images make the coin look suspect, but based on the last set of images, I'd say genuine.

Solid strike and die state for the date. Just some slight weakness at the tip of the 1st feather and hair above the braid. I'm not great with specific die state without sharper pics, but looks EMDS.

As far as grade, I think XF45 is spot on. Depending on what luster remains, I could possibly see AU50. Because of the stronger strike, the majority of wear to the high points I'd attribute to wear.

Overall solid example!

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LazerPig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most common fraud with Buffalos is "raising" a mintmark where there wasn't one. This is done by drilling under the area from the side, adding the mark and then filling the hole back in.

If you're buying uncertified Buffalos it's always a good idea to very closely scrutinize the side under the MM for signs of any funny business.
Edited by LazerPig
08/16/2022 10:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13010 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think the colorofmoney nailed this one with his distortion comment. the coin looks legit from the closeup you posted.

i think its at least XF45 and the feather separation, horn as well as a couple other markers this coin has a really good shot at AU50

if you were considering slabbing it i'd say its definitely worth it
nice coin. i'd like to hear from fortcollins on this one. hopefully he sees it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4230 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just posting a PM I sent the OP, for reference here on this thread.

Quote:
There's no signs of a seam or any modification on the rim below the mintmark is there? Also check for vertical striations from the blank being punched out from the sheet. Should still be plenty of these remaining in its condition.

Also, can't really tell from the sharpness of the pics, but with a 12-16x mag take a good look at the surfaces for any raised bumps and very small pits. Could imply cast/counterfeit.

It's it's void of all of those, I'm definitely leaning towards genuine. Mintmark is a great tell in this year as well. Look for metal flow lines extending from the MM to the fields. Will likely be semi sharp, given the die state, but should still have some light signs of deterioration, so you'll see signs of light-medium metal flow lines.
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I have sold the 1937-D 3-legged(431.04 net) and (10)1932 Milwaukee Prosperity tokens(47.56 net) that I won in the same auction, the final auction cost for this is $302.20. I sent it off to NGC today, so the fees and postage will take it close to $390.00. Here's a shot of the MM. It did look stretched out. I had looked for pitting and also at the edge. I found nothing out of the ordinary.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really would enjoy that thing being certified at XF 45 or AU 50.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LazerPig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That MM doesn't look too bad, heck might even be genuine

Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the OP's coin ,the serifs on the S , especially the lower serif doesn't match examples from PCGS or others I have studied. The configuration in the picture from LazerPig is what the genuine MM should look like. I have my reservations about this coin now but of course pictures are always difficult to assess.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit late to this topic, but interesting discussion and I'll be very interested in seeing what NGC comes back with. Personally, I think from the provided pics that it's genuine and a grade of AU50 wouldn't surprise me.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a couple of S's that have the elongated bottom serif on 26-S. Mine's on top.

Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I trust that NGC has the expertise and equipment necessary to authenticate. Fingers crossed that it comes back genuine and sporting a high grade. Congrats Jerry!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 2,226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: