Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2011 D Nickel This Isn't A DDR And DDO Is It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 400Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ok I have this 2011 nickel I just picked up I'm not sure if it is doubled on both obverse and reverse or if it is a md can Machine Doubling just be on some of the devices or does it have to be all the way around the coin

Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a combo of Die Deterioration Doubling and Machine Doubling
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks and how do you know the difference what make the two stand apart from each other
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pris, I'm only seeing Machine Doubling on both sides. You can look at the CCF glossary for definitions, but for me, DDD is always biased toward the rim and most often includes other evidence of the die being tired when used to strike the coin. In this nickel, the bias isn't toward the rim but rather is steplike and reduces the width of the design elements.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
prisbrey1,
Click on the blue letters.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the areas you are looking at:
1. If they are on the outside/inside edges of the devices, it is Machine Doubling or die wear on these areas.
The DDO is not located on that area of the design.

The DDR is also more in the center of the designs.

Why are the doubled dies on only these areas? Because these are part of the single squeeze process of creating the dies at that time. So looking outside of these areas on some years will the only show doubled dies on certain locations. Best to look at the sites to see what is normal listings on the different years and see where to find the DDO / DDR on the single squeeze dies. On the older multi hubbed dies, the locations are different for older types of dies. So study the sites to see where to look for the doubled die locations, then you will find these doubled dies. Note the link for these on the bottom of my signature box, marked Jefferson coins... which is part of the Wexler listings.

CoopHome: Where can the doubled dies be found on the single squeeze process on nickels? center of the designs
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling is flat amd shelflike, while Die Deterioration Doubling is more like a halo around the devices, the latter is seen on the reverse at the top of the VE of FIVE, note there how this halo connects above the VE
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great eyes again Pris...keep hunting.

KK
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks kopper ken
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 400Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: