Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Silver Eagle Toning If PCGS Can't Then Who Can?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 624Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
540 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi!
I was very disappointed, when I got this coin back from PCGS as undetermined. Is that a 'yes', 'No, or 'Maybe'..I really wanted to know at the time and that was 3 years ago.
Will appreciate your input.
Thanks.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another image.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8967 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't like the look at all, but I'm sure a lot of folks would love it. It's more muted than most of the wildly bad neon AT ones on eBay. Could be natural I suppose, but I wouldn't stake a money guarantee on it, much like PCGS felt I'm sure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2ó variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
2380 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Provenance is everything.
OP, did you by any chance buy this coin from a seller called Mikes Mountain Values?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
961 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am very skeptical about such toning. I think chemistry worked here, but not the environment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3814 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to it being graded "Questionable Color"? That's just how they label artificial toning. Not exactly sure why the phrasing is so vague...
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning is off on this coin....
I say AT.
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisEd...I got it from a coin shop in Temecula, CA.

And Thank you all.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it look's like Shake and Bake Colors , minus the shake

Just my Opinion / goldnugget
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The toning is off on this coin....
I say AT.

How is this determined? I have several toned ASE's, 2000 and pre 2000, quite attractive, at least to my eyes. How does one know if it's "AT"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9910 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a No. The cert number states UNC Details (91) - Questionable Color. That means artificially toned in PCGS lexicon.
ANA #R3154474
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does one know if it's "AT"?
You do not. Toning is either market acceptable or it is not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11089 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When an almost pure silver coin such as the ASE's will tone out and turn black (tarnish) not this fancy multi-colored artificial tone. Heat has to be in use here.
Have you ever ground or heavily sanded a piece of metal? as it gets hot, it will turn to the colors we see on that coin above.

I for 1, not a fan of this type of 'toning', no, not at all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1814 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The trueview pictures look fantastic to me. But I would not pay a premium for this coin.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You do not. Toning is either market acceptable or it is not.

Thank you jbuck, that's what I thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5083 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks artificially toned.

Not enough different colors and not enough years for it to tone "naturally" (2016 coin submitted in 2019)

https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com...oned-morgans

http://goccf.com/t/354563
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 624Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: