Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stunning 1908 Edward VII Half Crown Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  2:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently acquired this, the reverse is absolutely stunning, full lustre and looks as if it has just been minted. I will send it for conservation for the obverse, but what do you make of the grade?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20054 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A case where Sheldon grading can be helpful for British coins.

No sign of wear on the high points of the design, both sides, all of the beard and hair detail is there.
A few minor scrapes and nicks, more obvious on the obverse.

Nicely struck up detail of leopard and lions' faces helps with value.

MS-62 or 3.

I feel that any interference with the very minor problems on the obverse could well be counter productive. Much less risk if this coin is left well alone.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4353 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either its a weak strike or I see some wear.

The edge of the shield melts into the crown (To be expected in weak strike), but the head of the harp shows light rubbing, the shield edges are not super sharp.

Light friction on the kings hair, bizarre line running across his nose and mid face. It is very hard to grade, also a small rim knock at about 11.30.

I am going to say Uncirculated but in reality could be looking at a high AU here.

Still absolutely phenomenal though. My 1908 halfcrown is like aboutFine with the sun shining on it!

DO NOT DO anything to "conserve" this coin. I see conservation but hear "cleaning".

I love COINS!!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25265 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-62 to me. Not sure what the cloudiness is on the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse looks MS...reverse looks like wear on the shield, Irish Harp...and towards the top of the shield near the crown...or could this just be weakness in strike?

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, have submitted it to NGC so it will be interesting to see what they think. I have decided against conservation. I think the obverse line could be from where tape has sat over the holder in the past, or something like that. If it comes back a high grade I may have to part with it, as I could buy a lot of coins for my collection with the money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please let us know the grade when it eventually comes back.

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: