Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Cheerios Penny In Original Packaging

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 860Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  9:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay first. Yes. I know the pics are terrible. Indoor lighting with plastic on a shiny coin is not even close to ideal... Aside. Would anyone here open it? Or do you think so many ppl are that it will go up in value unopened? And also.. I'm seeing spots. I tried to wipe the outside of the package. No luck. Moisture? Coin damage? O. And I got super lucky and picked this up at a garage sale. $10

Pillar of the Community
United States
4347 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is PVC damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call this super lucky by any means.

The Sacagawea dollar is where the value and rarity is.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea. Its way more valuable. And would be amazing. But like 0 chance practically. PVC in the original package? That sucks
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I got my McDonald's Big Mac tokens I had the same thought. Leave them in and I finally decided that it's the tokens that matter, not the plastic wrap or the cardboard insert, which are more likely to cause damage than make the coin more desirable. I took those tokens out and put them in air-tites as I had spent several days tracking them all down in the various McDonald's of my locality. I'd take it out and see what those spots actually are!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember, the advice you get on this website is worth every penny you paid.
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have one, mine were darker spots.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always thought these were "Water spots" from some rinsing process done at the mint to clean the planchets before they were struck.

I still have a dozen or so of the Cheerios cents still in the original packaging and most of them, if not all, show the same dark spots. I wouldn't take it out of the package, because it then just becomes another of the 5.5 billion cents struck at the Philadelphia mint that year.

Removing it would also keep it from being certified as a "Cheerios" cent by the top grading companies. They require that a Cheerios coin be submitted in the original packaging for the "Cheerios" designation to be on the label. Cheerios dollars that are submitted once removed from the package will be designated as FS-902 (experimental reverse die with detailed tailfeather design,) but they will not call it a "Cheerios" Dollar on the label.

If you can't tell from my avatar, I was one of the lucky collectors that found one. I held on to mine for almost 20 years before sending it to Heritage. The dollar graded MS-67 and the cent MS-66 Red (spots and all.) The set sold in 2019 for $4200.

Here's the cent imaged by PCGS. https://www.PCGS.com/cert/37217372

Here's an image of the pair in the package.
d

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Centstation... I'm laughing. Very valid point. Yoku. Wow. Thanks much for the good input
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is the only thing that distinguishes the Cheerio penny from the other 5.5 billion just the plastic wrapper or are there other details such as on the rare dollars?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46532 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is sold values: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...H_Complete=1
Here is the value of a non cheerios: http://m.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/coi...de2=pricesms
The second you remove it from the OP it becomes a standard cent.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the ebay sold listings and see what the value is...this will guide you on how to proceed...definitely leave it in the wrap...if the sales price is sufficient, you can submit it for grading...the TPG will put the "CHEERIOS" designation on the label.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11070 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed - do not remove it from the package. If you want it out, sent it in to be graded and maybe have it restored by the TPG. ANACS is the cheapest to do this and will try to restore it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59581 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark spots on your coin are water spots that altered the coin pre-placing it into the Cheerios holder.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm late to the discussion and most all the important info has been posted. I agree to not remove from package or it cant be distinguished as the cheerios penny. If its in good condition you can submit to be graded as now they are finally worth more than the grading fees as yoko already explained. Keep in mind there were 10 MILLION cheerios cereal boxes with coins made so you can certainly try to find a better one whether graded or ungraded and later grade them if desired. I dont suggest sending in this one to be graded in this condition. Also at this point there are tons of already graded examples if your not into the chase, from anacs, NGC, and PCGS and so you usually can lower the price with many sellers.

There has also been a discussion about the possibility of some of the cheerios cents having the 2000 Lincoln cent Wide AM reverse, but you cant tell unless you remove from package, and its needed to remain and send in the package to grade or identify it as the cheerios cent. So I'd only take a look once graded or on other graded examples, or bust a few out to look but can kill the value entirely if not a Wide AM reverse and its not graded, now just a regular 2000 cent. Just an interesting add.
https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/...penny-value/

Edited by datadragon
08/12/2022 2:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59581 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even a dark spot on a coin can knock the grade down:

The reverse is flawless.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 860Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: