Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Norfolk Commemorative Half Dollar - Circulated!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 345Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  6:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I spotted this Norfolk on Ebay - it certainly looks to have spent some time in circulation and seems to have original surfaces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334530125705

Per Nickelsearcher's comments in the excellent "Days of Classic Commemoratives" thread, I know that this is an extremely difficult coin to find in circulated condition.

Posting it here in case anyone pursuing a circulated commemorative set is interested. It's a bit out of my budget, but perhaps a fellow CCF-er might want it. Now if it was a Gettysburg or Antietam.... alas, still waiting .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems crazy to pay this kind of money when a 65 Is not that much more expensive, but I can see the appeal if you're assembling a circulated set (the appreciation potential of which seems very low).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8038 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That certainly appears to be an honestly circulated XF range Norfolk half - very difficult to find in this state due to how few of these ever experienced circulation.

@ frog - concur that at current bid price ($215) this coin has practically zero potential for future price appreciation. But then again - this coin is not intended for the market of those who desire flashy MS examples.

This is a choice example at a fair price for someone seeking a relatively rare addition to further their pursuit of a complete honestly circulated type set.

I suspect the final hammer price will be even higher.

Quote:
Now if it was a Gettysburg or Antietam

Fully concur with that sentiment Silver Searcher. I recall a huge sense of collector satisfaction when I finally acquired my raw circulated Gettysburg for somewhere in the $350 range.

It eventually certified at PCGS VG10 and to this day remains the single favorite coin in my collection. Holding such history in your hands is just an amazing feeling.

Edit for spggllening
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
08/13/2022 06:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher, something like your Gettysburg is just what I hope to find someday.

If I may ask, where did you buy it at? An online auction or in-person?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8038 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
where did you buy it at?

eBay auction ended January 2012. I paid $366 at the auction plus eventual PCGS fees.

Over the prior 2+ years I have not actively pursued additional circulated commemoratives - fully satisfied with my completed type set - so I extend to you my best of wishes to find for yourself a similar coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an update on this... the circulated Norfolk slld for a whopping $535.00!!!

That is one of the highest prices paid for an example of this type on Ebay recently. More than several MS-65, -66, and even -67 examples have sold for.

I suspect three things:

1. The seller knew exactly what they had - a condition rarity, and placed their starting price accordingly ($215.00).

2. That two or more circulated half collectors competed for the coin.

3. That this one is perhaps going to be on its way to PCGS or NGC soon for grading and addition to someone's set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8038 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the circulated Norfolk sold for a whopping $535.00

Thats a bit over the top - although a good example of the pricing pressures when two (or more) dedicated collectors get into a bidding contest over one of these seldom seen circulated commemorative examples.

For comparison, my example was purchased raw on eBay for $244 in August 2011 - and eventually certified PCGS VF25.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: