Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1814 Capped Bust Half Dollar Grade

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 908Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses. And brownie points to Ploopy for correctly stating the variety, O-108a, which is the E/A variety. For those who don't know, Reich punched the incorrect letter when assembling the working die, and began to spell STATAS instead of STATES. Upon realizing his mistake, a correction was made by punching the E over the A. Part of the A is still visible underneath the E. As there are different theories why this mistake was made, it was most likely a case of Reich "spacing out" and thinking he was punching the letter after the first T instead of the second T.

I am most interested in taking a close look at the headband clash shown underneath the eagle's right wing. It is a solid line from the talons and pointing up. The tops of the letters in LIBERTY can be seen mirrored poking out of the chest feathers.

Also, after studying the pictures, there may be grafitti on the obverse field. I can't say for sure especially with the holder scratched up. I don't think NGC would let grafitti pass, unless they felt like an extreme net grade was justifiable.

I will reveal the NGC grade tomorrow.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess EF(45). This is a fascinating coin with really cool die clashes--this variety has such strong "character" that it is a coin to keep looking at and going back to. Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

NGC gave it a VF-30. I agree with most of your opinions, as my first impression of this coin was either XF-45 to AU-50. My guess is that NGC simply mistook this coin having wear instead of a weak strike. This particular coin does show Miss Liberty with a flatter cheek than other examples, but the luster is there for a high XF.

This coin was sold in the same holder by David Lawrence Rare Coins on April 11, 2021. They have high quality photos of the coin on their website. The link to the sold auction is: https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/2252122

It also appears like this was also sold by Royal Coins out of Houston Texas. I can't add the link because they don't have it on their site anymore.

Let's compare this example with a coin in a PCGS XF-45 CAC holder. Lighting isn't exactly the same, but this'll have to do for now.
OP example NGC VF-30:

PCGS XF-45 CAC:

Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it makes me question integrity and logic with TPG's. This is a classic case for " Buy the coin, not the slab".
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a great find at that grade! You found it because of your discerning eye, respectable amount of knowledge, and impressive attention to quality.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is every bit as nice as that PCGS XF-45, clearly undergraded. If you don't resubmit it, hopefully you can get those scratches off the holder. Great acquisition!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the opinions and kinds words. I hope others can learn from this post and know that there are nice coins out there, you simply need to keep looking and have the cash ready!

This was the first slab I ever cracked, but the process went smoothly with a small ball peen hammer. Anyway, here are the closeups that I promised.

Arrowhead clash on obverse:

Eagle's right wing clash on obverse:

Scroll clash above date:

Olive branch and eagle's talons clash on obverse:

Cap and LIBERTY clash on reverse:

Cap and LIBERTY clash on reverse, different angle:

Remnants of the A seen under the E:

Fine die crack continuing around the legend:

Peculiar die defect across the two leaves:
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25261 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They did not use the strike weakness in their decision. Definitely under graded in the current holder.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These pictures really bring out the die clashing! If you resubmit it, let us know the TPG company calls it!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
whomever graded this one was not knowledgeable about the series so a resub is in order. the clashing all over this coin is crazy. good luck and cant wait to see the results.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71660 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck indeed.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As everyone else has said, good luck if you decide to resubmit the coin. And besides that, what a neat piece of history to own, especially with all of those die clashes present.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I have no plan on submitting this one, as this one should stay with me for a while. If plans change I'll post the results here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, a superb Buster I would be pleased to have in my collection! Congrats on a great find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1814s have some crazy clashing. I agree with others that this was under graded. My initial reaction was XF-45.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 908Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: