Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924-D And 1927-D, Worn Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 501Next Topic  

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  01:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Plantguy396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm still learning to differentiate mushy design elements. Are these coins the result of worn dies? Any help is appreciated!

Learn More...
United States
25501 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@plan, with this amount of circulation wear, I think that it is going to be difficult to distinguish between normal wear patterns and an advanced die state during the striking nearly 100 years ago. With that said, it is very common for the rim and tops of the letters to merge as the coin gets very worn.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  06:23 am  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence said it good, if I were to posit grades on these, a net G-6 for the 24-D, and as high as a F-15 for the 27-D.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...very difficult to tell the condition of the dies at minting due to the circulation wear...nice coins.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73618 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence calls it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18261 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But with the 24-D it is in my opinion that the coin is mostly LDS with decent wear .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60444 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rims are doing their job, but about to loose the battle on these two coins. As mentioned, circulation wear is taking its toll on these coins. Cent weren't strongly collected till about 1934. Then the rolls were started to be saved. (Even cent rolls were an expensive thing back in those days) most of the circulated coins like these are much thinner from the wear removing the metal from the rim of the coin. Thus when rolling these in a plastic holder, to roll them, you might have more the 51 cents in a roll as they were thinner from coin wear. (thus count these when putting them into a roll)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plantguy396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are you guys talking about too worn? I get it on the 24-D for sure, but the 27-D has completely clear wheat stalks except for one weak spot. I know seeing detail on the bottoms is hard in that pic but I can clearly see the tops are individually defined at the top, which would indicate a VF at least. That coupled with the state of the obverse is what brought me to my question. Do you think that maybe you guys just already "know" the answer sometimes before you let the actual question register?
Learn More...
United States
25501 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@plant, for sure you are allowed your own opinion, just as we are allowed ours. On the obv of the '27, Abe's ear is completely into his hair and the rims are almost worn into the letters. The rev is perhaps a little better preserved, with as you note most of the wheat stalks visible. But I didn't think you were talking about the reverse on that coin since there is nothing remarkable about it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Plantguy396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how do you know the "wear" on his face is wear? There's literally no flat spots on any of the other features on the obverse, in addition to the reverse being higher grade. I just don't see how that 1cm square gets worn and nothing else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PG396
To see evidence of a later die state on circulated Lincoln cents look to the design elements near the rim. The horizontals of the E of We will start to distort almost in a class VI fashion. The T's of Trust will grow horns and the bottom of the vest will ripple as it fades to the rim , to name a few markers. Also , we're these coi s struck with dies that had turned to mush , the lower, protected hair details at the forhead would not retain their relief.
I see a slight bit of a few of the above die state indicators on your coin but not enough to cause the grade markers to disappear as a whole. To me your coins have just honest wear and the normal wear guidelines can be followed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of a Buffalo nickel from the same era that will grade higher than its details show because of it being struck by exousted dies. I know the current owner so I don't think using watermarked ebay images can hurt.
The high points of the design still have some semblance of the intended design though the transitions are much smoother.
The horn on the reverse is totally gone though I bet had this been a fresh die it would have had a full horn to grade by. The design on the rim , especially on the reverse, is very much distorted. All in all , there are a lack of flat spots on this coin to tank the grade.

Edited by stoneman227
08/14/2022 07:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12360 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'll 'put in my 2 cents' here. the first coin is clearly worn all the device high points are worn flat, right down to the level of the rims. (that is what the rims do - protect the design elements.) once the rims are gone so is the design. The second coin is in better shape though - The obverse is worn much more than the reverse, which leads me to think that it was in a Whitman folder and the obverse was rubbed down while the reverse was protected.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln's face will get worn down quicker as it protrudes more from the field.

The OP was:

Quote:
Plantguy396 Posted - Yesterday 01:01 am
I'm still learning to differentiate mushy design elements. Are these coins the result of worn dies? Any help is appreciated!

These coins are too old and have gone thru too much to definitely say that they were minted with deteriorated dies. In the big picture of coin collecting...it don't matter. If you want to learn about Die Deterioration...look at some uncirculated coins.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kk
That's good advice!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: