Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does The Reverse Of The Anna May Wong Quarter Remind Anyone Else Of An Arcade Token.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,052Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
826 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason the dots and the way quarter dollar is written reminds me of an arcade token.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a little but doesn't match many of the tokens I have ever seen...

Perhaps you are just wanting to relive your youth...

mGYevPjfxrM

pSp0xQD6t2I

AR3A6te9rmk

HMUtafRWuGE
Edited by datadragon
08/13/2022 7:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46606 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was so looking forward to this coin...until I saw that it's just a bodiless head and a hand. : )
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

...gotta buy some of those deep cameos...probably MS-72s...

My beef with this series is that they do not tell us...or the general public...what the female was famous for!!!!

Also I'm mad at the mint because I can't just buy rolls of "S" MM quarters...bundled with P-D-S.

KK
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my opinion I believe they rushed the designs of these quarters. Throughout all the years of numismatics and they maybe had pressure from some one and rushed the designs. Looking at all the quarters there are no real details on them. I will stick with defiantly rushed. If you are going to do something, do not rush because your name is going on it. The coin says nothing. You are right. I have seen better video tokens which I collect.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SaturnD51, These candidate designs were developed for the 2022 American Women Quarters Program - Anna May Wong in accordance with the Act that authorized, then chose the winner from those.https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-me...nna-may-wong

The design may have a slight inspiration from the look of a few arcade tokens like this one, but not sure if there was some specific one the op thought of.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The alternate designs for the Anna May Wong quarter are much better!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The alternate designs for the Anna May Wong quarter are much better!

I agree! Apparently, they picked the wong one.

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8267 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does The Reverse Of The Anna May Wong Quarter Remind Anyone Else Of An Arcade Token?

Not to my eyes, but everyone has their own perspective!

Quote:
My beef with this series is that they do not tell us...or the general public...what the female was famous for!!!!

Which of our circulation coins does? Lincoln Cent? No. Jefferson nickel? No. Roosevelt Dime? No. etc. etc.

We know who the folks on these coins are and what they are famous for because we either learned about them in school or through other means. Same holds true for the new quarters - folks will need to spend a few minutes learning about the subject. Hopefully, they will then share what they've learned with others and the knowledge will spread.

I'll kick things off:

Per the US Mint:

Anna May Wong was the first Chinese American film star in Hollywood.

Wong was born January 3, 1905, in Los Angeles. Her birth name was Wong Liu Tsong, and her family gave her the English name Anna May. She was cast in her first role as an extra in the film "The Red Lantern" (1919) at 14 and continued to land small roles as extras until her first leading role in "The Toll of the Sea" (1922).

Her career spanned motion pictures, television, and theater. She appeared in more than 60 movies, including silent films and one of the first movies made in Technicolor. Wong also became the first Asian American lead actor in a U.S. television show for her role in "The Gallery of Madame Liu-Tsong" (1951).

After facing constant discrimination in Hollywood, Wong traveled to Europe and worked in English, German, and French films. She also appeared in productions on the London and New York stages.

Wong was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960. She died on February 3, 1961. She is remembered as an international film star, fashion icon, television trailblazer, and a champion for greater representation of Asian Americans in film. She continues to inspire actors and filmmakers today.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/15/2022 08:19 am
Learn More...
United States
116391 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They could've just put actress on the quarter..plenty of room...same for Sally Ride...astronaut. IMO.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4015 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think on one of the quarters they did mention what the woman was famous for... but only in Spanish.

TBH as far as the reverse is concerned the Anna May Wong quarter is probably the best of the series so far, though as I've only seen pics, not actual coins, I'm not sure I could meaningfully compare.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CMattB2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They could've just put actress on the quarter..plenty of room...same for Sally Ride...astronaut.

I think we have enough words on the coins already, no need for even more useless space eating! I'm thoroughly enjoying the series so far, the 2023 designs look much nicer to me. I hope that trend continues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope that trend continues.

I do too...I will be getting a folder to put my circulation finds into.

KK
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reverse was created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designer Emily Damstra as well as she created the Maya Angelou reverse, perhaps she was channeling her inner love for arcade machines if thats what you see.. If you ever see her or speak to her, you can ask.

Heres the 2023 American Women Quarters Reverse Candidate Designs Maria Tallchief
https://www.cfa.gov/system/files/me...20(4-20).pdf
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...rican-dollar
Edited by datadragon
08/16/2022 4:12 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,052Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: