Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 D LSC WDDO-001 CRHing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 499Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been a hot minute since I've made a post!

Found this while going through my first roll of the month.

This is SUPER difficult to photograph, maybe even the most challenging variety I've tried to capture. Had to mess with the lighting a bit to even show it.

These photos do not fully show it but nevertheless here they are:

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot see it but there is no doubt that this is the same die. I blew up one of your pics that show a very bright die dot that can be seen on both. Shields are tough enough to get decent pics of anyway, much less, one this minor. Nice find and good eye!

-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
08/13/2022 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the assistance MakeCents! As always you are very helpful!

Thank you very much and glad to hear from you!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12327 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Markers are nothing without the doubling. May be a working hub marker.
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dearborn!

CS, I used a more powerful microscope that a relative of mine has, and I was able to see the doubling but could not photograph it as there was no camera. I tried my best to capture it on my microscope but wasn't that successful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Markers are nothing without the doubling. May be a working hub marker.
CentSation, first off I would not have taken the time to look for a reason for this to be what the OP said it was, if I did not believe it was so and know it was worthwhile. SilverCents is extremely analytical and probably sharper than both of us put together. So I looked and I found. Secondly, if it were from a working hub, it would be in relief, which would mean it had to be incuse on the master, which is ok but I don't think so, there would be many out there and for this to stick out on the OP's coin and the doubled die, in such a prevalent way, is highly unlikely, without being seen. The only thing that gives me pause, is there are no other doubled dies, for this year/mm to compare them to.
I could be wrong but don't think so and will wait for SilverCents to prove himself and me right, by getting the pick of the doubled die. I will try to pay attention to 2017D cents and see what I can find.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CentSation, I may be eating crow. I do stand by what I said about SilverCents but the die dots may very well be something from a master die. There are just a few listings of P and D 2017's and none of them show the cheek area, so I started looking at different PCGS pics. I have three D's and three P's downloaded and will do some work with them this evening but with a quick look, the die dot may be there, on most, if not all.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow MakeCents, thank you so much for those absolutely wonderful and kind words! I don't know if I'm as good as you say I am, as there is ALWAYS room for improvement when it comes to me, but still, what you said means a lot to me, greatly.

It is indeed possible that the die dot is part of a master die, I'd need to look through more 2017 D cents to make sure. I appreciate the amount of effort and research you are putting into this coin! I once again looked at the coin through the more powerful microscope, and because there was a significant reduction of glare compared to my photos/microscope, the doubling was more clear. Still very minor, but much more visible. I attempted once again to capture a photo of it by putting my phone up to the lens, but it didn't work in the slightest.

So it seems that I could look for more matching markers (when I have the time, as my schedule is beyond hectic at the moment). Another option would be sending it to Wexler's, as his equipment is far superior to mine. Either that, or I can put the coin to the side for now and look back on it when I've obtained a more quality microscope.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow MakeCents, thank you so much for those absolutely wonderful and kind words! I don't know if I'm as good as you say I am, as there is ALWAYS room for improvement when it comes to me, but still, what you said means a lot to me, greatly.

It is indeed possible that the die dot is part of a master die, I'd need to look through more 2017 D cents to make sure. I appreciate the amount of effort and research you are putting into this coin! I once again looked at the coin through the more powerful microscope, and because there was a significant reduction of glare compared to my photos/microscope, the doubling was more clear. Still very minor, but much more visible. I attempted once again to capture a photo of it by putting my phone up to the lens, but it didn't work in the slightest.

So it seems that I could look for more matching markers (when I have the time, as my schedule is beyond hectic at the moment). Another option would be sending it to Wexler's, as his equipment is far superior to mine. Either that, or I can put the coin to the side for now and look back on it when I've obtained a more quality microscope.
I was just surprised, recently, when I found out your age, you are leaps and bounds ahead of where I was at that time of my life. As for the coin, I would just hold onto it until you get better equipment and maybe even run across another example of that particular doubled die.
As for the pics I downloaded from PCGS, there was way too much glare to tell, so inconclusive at this time. I will make a point to look at any 2017D's I run across though, CentSation could very well be correct.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha well, I've always had the habit of overanalyzing things. Luckily I've been able to hone it so I can use it as a skill, (though I do have to admit sometimes it runs rampant). My goal is to either get a Master's Degree or a PhD in Psychology, as I believe my somewhat beneficial habit can be put towards helping others in that field. (I also find the human mind fasinating).

Anyway, will do. I'll hang onto it for now. Thank you once again for your help!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much but you're welcome.
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: