Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raw $1 Educational Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  9:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not this note looks a little faded? The seller is stating that they believe it is a Superb Gem grade but the colors look duller than the 2nd pic that I've included which was graded as a 67 by PMG and was sold by HA.

I was getting tempted to throw in a bid but if it's not an EPQ then that caps PMG grading at 64 so the current high bid is probably close enough to the last 64 that sold on GC (if you account for paying taxes and sending it off to get graded) to not be worth the risk IMO of buying a raw note.

Here's the link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325297839007?LH_Auction=1

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71660 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's start with reverse pics before we go any further.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, here are the reverse pics of the raw and graded notes. I've included the HA link as well in case the uploaded pics aren't hi res enough.

Thanks!

https://currency.ha.com/itm/silver-...bnail-071515

Pillar of the Community
United States
3812 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buyer beware. There's usually a reason that a $2,500 note isn't in a graded holder. If I couldn't examine it in person, I'd leave it alone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46532 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take a chance on it and return it if there is a problem with it?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Steve- any note of that value should be in a holder PCGS or PMG. I see notes like this that are not certified and that, some of the times, reveals that its been PRESSED.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOOPS, sorry, I thought it was not certified.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The note is raw. I had included pics of a graded note in this post to use as a comp.

The seller has a 14 day return policy but I'm not very confident in my own ability to ascertain any issues other than looking for folds, pinholes or checking to see if anything has been trimmed by comparing against another note.

I think I'll just pass and leave raw notes like this to the more knowledgeable collectors. In my hands it is starting to feel more like gambling than anything else.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71660 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's a good decision.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least the good thing is that I'm slowly learning more about currency collecting and that I'm not getting in over my head (I think) . When I first started collecting not too long ago it was kind of a ready, fire, aim situation but since then I've at least learned a few things.

There's always more to learn though. I will definitely try to make it out to the annual Money Show near me this winter because I remember there were some currency folks that had a table there when I went a few years back prior to getting hooked on paper money. They seemed more than willing to spend time talking to and educating others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The colors do not pop as they do on the graded note...the seal is even duller.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71660 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's possible to compare these two images for color values since they were taken with different equipment.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hadn't thought of that. Good point. I went to see if the seller had any recent listings of higher grade epq notes that could be used for comparison purposes but they have scrubbed all past listing info even inside of the past month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: