Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Enlighten Me? 1851Bb 5 Rappen Switzerland

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC lists it as having a mintage of 12 million. So why is it a key date and why is it so valuable? What am I missing here? Did some king hoard 11.5 million and melt them or something? I'm sure there's a simple reason but would love to know ! :)
Edited by TobyJ
08/14/2022 4:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1855 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh , just checking my Krause catalog and I see what you are saying... I would like your reasoning here; it reminds me of a few of our United States coins that have a reasonable mintage but absurd values like the 1901 Morgan, common enough mintage but very high value in uncirculated condition. So perhaps much of the mintage got remelted and it was made a key date, or the mintage figure itself is inaccurate...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5514 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something doesn't look right.

If you look at the frequency distribution in Numista, the number of collectors who have one is far smaller than those who have an 1850, but only slightly smaller than those who have later dates for the type.

To me this makes it look like the true number that circulated was on the order of 1,000,000.

Edited by tdziemia
08/14/2022 6:51 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: