Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Concentration Of Red Poppies And Coronations In Each Australian City Found By Noodlers?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 19 / Views: 780Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  08:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PoppyHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Enjoying this thread...

http://goccf.com/t/419928

I am curious to know if there is any info on the concentration of Red Poppies and Coronations in each Australian city found by noodlers? That is, although very rare, where am I most likely to find each one?
Learn More...
United States
116475 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
806 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious to know if there is any info on the concentration of Red Poppies and Coronations in each Australian city found by noodlers? That is, although very rare, where am I most likely to find each one?

They are both extremely rare in circulation,all you can do is noodle Bank coin rolls/bags on a regular basis.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im still hunting red poppy in circulation now if there are none left in circulation I see friend of mine I'm sure he will have one.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Basil stated, they are too rare (especially the red poppy) to provide any meaningful statistics. It may have been relevant 8-10 years ago when they were more prevalent but they have pretty well been noodled to extinction by now (bit like the '66 wavy). You could argue that the states with the larger populations contain a higher percentage of coinage ergo a higher chance of the rarities being found. Then again, it may be the states with lower socioeconomic status might produce more rarities as people desperate for money raid the old piggy banks or steal grandpas coins to spend on booze and fags. Similar to how do NCLT coins that were purchased above face value end up in circulation.
Valued Member
Australia
124 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add In2Fish2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On 15th June this year I scored a 2013 "Coronation - 60th" $2 from the till at my local Post Office, they are still in the pond but need a lot of fishing to catch one.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3500 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coronation 2 dollar still exist in the wild. Pulled one from change a week ago so don't give up.

Never found a red poppy a mate of mine gave me a couple a few years back
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Edited by gxseries
08/18/2022 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
811 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Never found a red poppy a mate of mine gave me a couple a few years back

Congrats on having such a great mate
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4297 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never found a red poppy in circulation. The one I own came off a PNC.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PoppyHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How exactly does distribution of coins from the mint work and is this published anywhere? e.g. Do they go to each capital city in the first instance or only to certain cities?

Anecdotally, I find myself in Victoria over the last month and have found numerous firefighter $2 coins, lots of 2016 Olympics and several Flanders Field, plus a green dove. Interestingly, have found no honey bee, no 75th anniversary ww2 and no 2021 indigenous coin. In QLD, have found in last few months heaps of honey bees, 2021 indigenous and ww2 but never a firefighter or Flanders Field. It seems very geographically localised as to what one finds.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
806 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How exactly does distribution of coins from the mint work and is this published anywhere? e.g. Do they go to each capital city in the first instance or only to certain cities?

CTB used to receive the Coins direct from the Mint up until the 1990's(Keating Privatisation),they then distributed them to the other Banks.At least that's how I understood the system.
What City received what was based on need,as the Coins were in sealed bags there was no way of knowing dates etc.
These days apparently the Mint delivers them direct to Security Co.'s
who break the bags into rolls/bags before deliveries to Banks but Posters on here will know more about that distribution.

Some Historians/Researchers claim the 1930 Penny was first ID in Sydney during the 1940's Coin shortage.
They were found in Sydney at this time but the obvious flaw in that theory is that they may have been released elsewhere and migrated to Sydney.
The same applies to rare dates these days,no way of knowing where they were released originally,just as much chance of noodling a 'Red Poppy' in Perth or Sydney,or even 'woop woop', as anywhere else.
Noodlers just have to put in the time and get lucky.

Edited by Basil
08/30/2022 11:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
707 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2022  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are at least 8 years too late to find 2012 red poppy or 2013 purple coronation in any kind of concentration.

Quote:
In QLD, have found in last few months heaps of honey bees, 2021 indigenous and ww2 but never a firefighter

Tell me about it.

Valued Member
Australia
144 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this one in January , thought I posted it here somewhere?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1285/page-14
Northern Territory.
Keep looking mate, ya never know.
Edited by crab eater
09/02/2022 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2095 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

These days apparently the Mint delivers them direct to Security Co.'s
who break the bags into rolls/bags before deliveries to Banks but Posters on here will know more about that distribution.

That's my understanding too - Armaguard and Prosegur at least deliver rolls to banks - Chubb has too but not sure if they still do.
I'm not sure how they get from the mint to the security companies but I assume they have depots in New South Wales that accept new coins from the bank and distribute the rolled coins around the country from there.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted Today  13H 11M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PoppyHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So an update... 1 OFF circulated Red Poppy found not from coin rolls out of the machine but in a $50 bag of $2 coins from the bank! Location Brisbane. Estimated coins noodled is 40,000.
Valued Member
Australia
99 Posts
 Posted Today  13H 2M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done PoppyHunter, you are living up to your name.

Page: of 2 Replies: 19 / Views: 780Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: