Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 D Wilma Mankiller Struck Through Obverse Reverse

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,044Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Something there just not identified yet

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3262 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RW now I see. You has rolls from one of the 12 main banks who receive the coins from the Mint. I presume one of the counting machine has a default. Is damage for me to see this ignorance from their contra part.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Salt River Bay has the exact same phenomenon going on with it. Starts off thin on one side

Then flares out on the other side

With the same gritty grease look on the bust
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one Datadragon. This one is in a different location. Same bow tie anomaly
Edited by RW1010
08/16/2022 12:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3262 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last two photos you put from you and your friend, put me questions. The letters are struck over the lines. If is the die polish problem will affect normal the flat surface, and not the relief like the last photo where the high relief is affected and the letters are perfect. The first photo you put the rim was affect. We forgot. The rest ones is the coin relief and surface. Do is the planchet default scratch in rolls before milling? or the lateral band which direction in milling detached a little bit and some blanks was force and push? Big question.

PS: Look slow at the videos, maybe you can find probability there.
Edited by silviosi
08/16/2022 03:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silviosi. Sounds like you see this is pre strike or a striking error not PSD. I know you know your stuff but we all see new things and learn everyday. That's the beauty of life
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3262 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, but remember not the first coin with the rims. And please take the link and watch to see how is work. If is need more links for, with pleasure I will put. Like this maybe the community will analyze the coins by years strike, and not by old kind. We has to adapt.

PS. For me a pre-strike error is not a strike error, is Mint processes error, which old kind of thinking do not exist. Are mean this happened before strike the coin and is related to planchet and blank preparation.
Edited by silviosi
08/16/2022 03:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those look like armor car company (String & Sons?) or something like that, wrapped rolls. Maybe Mike can clear this up?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3262 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John: the same roll paper was use by the 12 Banks and the security transport company.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks do not wrap their own coins, places like Brinks does. The U.S. Mint uses special paper.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As soon as the last strike occurs on a coin, anything after that is defined as PMD even if it happens at the mint, and even in original mint packaging with a number of gouges or other forms of damage on it. While the struck coin is making its way through riddlers, the counting machine, or other processes at the mint, it could be gouged, scraped, stamped by automated machinery (many robots are now used in the mints), or could be scraped or otherwise mutilated. Any of these things, if they occur after the last strike of the dies to the coin, are considered PMD.

A mint error on the other hand is defined as a coin made incorrectly at the mint and encompasses anything that happens to the coin up until the final strike of the dies. The difference is found in if the defect on the coin occurred before the final strike of the dies or after. This is a critical thing to determine in order to know if a coin is a mint error or simply PMD and prove the defect on a coin to be pre-strike (and so a mint error) or post-strike damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses. There are several things here pointing to either PSD or an error. In the end one has to outweigh the other or be a deciding factor to be definitive of what these are. The fact that there is no obvious damage to the devices on several similar coins should weigh heavily. Just my opinion. I could easily be wrong. I will add that a broom in constant contact with a conveyor belt is going to have some fibers pulled out and continue down the production line maybe even into the striking chamber
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck Through annealing and wirlaway B-Roll fibers?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3262 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RW: Can you take the two sides photo with less glare? Fiber like fiber, but I will like to see better. Maybe change the light? The fiber result in only one situation on those days. I wait for the new photos of the last coin to elaborate. If is what I think, you has for your pocket.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,044Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: