Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 P Bicentennial Quarter With Many Die Cracks And A Large Die Gouge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 265Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone!
I found this interesting bicentennial quarter that I wanted to share with the community. It has die cracks all over the reverse. That's somewhat interesting but the thing that really caught my attention was the die gouge. It's very prominent. These are all raised elements so they are not scratches. To help solidify that I was lucky enough to find a 2nd coin from the same die that exhibits all the same die cracks and the same die gouge. I'll post a picture of that as well.

Here's the 2nd coin. The only thing that really sets them apart is the 2nd coin doesn't appear to have the same die polish marks around the face. I can post close-ups of the 2nd coin if you'd like.

Thanks for taking a look!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful examples of well used and maybe slightly too brittle reverse dies. I don't know that I've ever seen coins showing this many die cracks.

As for the area around the drummer's face, it looks more like is was Struck Through Grease with some metal debris than being a polished die.

Both are really nice coins!

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I was really happy to find these! Believe it or not they were actually pulled from a normal circulated quarter box picked up at a bank. I'm almost certain they were from someone's collection since I very rarely see Philly minted AU/MS bicentennials pop up near Denver let alone 3 in the same box. In addition, there was also a Denver example with a significant die crack on the reverse as well. I'll post that below.

I always feel bad thinking someone collected these and preserved them for decades only to have them tossed back into circulation. That said, I'm at least glad I could pull them back out of circulation before they got too beat up.

Oh and good call about the Struck Through Grease note. After taking a second look I think you're right, It even distorts the face a bit.

PS. I apologize for posting pictures of different coins but I didn't think it warranted a whole other post. Here's the 1976 D die crack:

Edited by CRHunting
08/16/2022 4:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin and good pictures
Learn More...
United States
116537 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71863 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice closeup photography for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59753 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a very sad die example. Coin is in nice condition. The dies that created this coin may have continued on and had some interesting coins. But just a die event at this point.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: