Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1903 Morgan Dollar Thoughts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 581Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  7:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am in the market for a nice 1903 Morgan. Considering this one in a PCGS holder. What do you all think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71578 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the big face hit kerosene it at 63 but nice luster for a 1903. I like it .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5918 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First obverse photo looks overexposed and the scrapes in front of Liberty's face are obscured. Second set looks more accurate. Luster and strike are strong, but there are enough contact marks to limit the grade to 64. It definitely qualifies as a nice 1903!
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 was my first thought. Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2261 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64. The trueviews look really nice with this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25236 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-64 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid 64.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20044 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with 64.
If you can get it for competitive 63 money, which would have to include shipping costs in the price, it could be a reasonable buy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1128 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before responses I thought MS65. After seeing responses I'm going MS64+
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my concern is that the second set of photos are trueview. grading from these must be taken with a grain of salt so I kind of need your in hand photo and the trueview to get a good idea. the problem is your in hand photos have too much glare so I have to give it my best assessment based on what we have here

luster looks pretty much unbroken.
the reverse is a little weak for the year
a couple scuffs and small marks on the obv fields and cheek
decent eye appeal

i think in this case the trueview and your in hand photos both lead me to a MS64 grade which I typically drop the trueview by a full grade.

if you're into slabbing it could be candidate as I dont think it would come back less than 63+ so it limits the cost risk
Pillar of the Community
United States
1232 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of major hits on the cheek. Reverse strike is average. I'd say grade is somewhere between MS63 and MS64.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there are enough hits on the cheek to hold it back to MS63.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
Canada
76 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapperd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful lustre regardless. MS-64 from photo's
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posting this now (less than 48 hours), because I am trying to decide what I want to do.

I am a bit surprised at the amount of MS-64's and even MS-63's. I know the auction photos are overexposed and TruView's can be hard to grade from sometimes, but still. The reverse to me is MS-67, super clean. The obverse definitely has its issues, but I had it at MS-64+ to MS-65.

PCGS graded this one at MS-66. I think the reverse pulled this one up for them, and the coin must look better in hand.

Appreciate everyone's input. The sheer amount of lower grades on this one from you guys is going to make me pass and keep looking!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66? Dang hard pass for me at 66 money .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: