Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 1967 Roosevelt Dime

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 927Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  8:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Debron341 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I found a 1967 Roosevelt dime with "track marks" on the obverse starting at Roosevelt's ear. I am thinking that this is PMD, but the "tracks" are raised, and not like a gouge. Thoughts? As always, I appreciate your input. I am attaching two pics for examination. Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone should say something about this coin, truth is I do not know what it is. I normally look for pushed up metal then say it is damaged but I do not see that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1893 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if that anomaly is raised, it's probably not PMD, and potentially quite interesting, seeing the reverse might help
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full coin photo front and back please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debron341 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some additional full photos of the obverse, and reverse of the dime. Thank you.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imbedded metal shavings?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1893 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if that was due to damage on the die, more examples should be known by now, so I tend to agree with John aboujt some sort of foreign matter got embedded into this coin, whatever it is it's not common, and therefore worth keeping
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10982 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find...probably a one off.

KK
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an error to me. Dearborn, can you elaborate on your opinion?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59519 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Measure the edge sizes of coins to see what denomination could have caused this. They probably hammered that coin into this coin and altered the metal. No way this is a mint error. Just a damaged coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debron341 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Coop. What about the excess metal that is down around the "In God We Trust"? If someone struck the edge of a coin onto the dime, would it leave that extra metal behind?
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still not convinced that this is PMD.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debron341 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also leaning toward this being a mint errer. Could anyone recommend someone who may be able to tell me for certain? Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Diamond.
John1
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The supposition that someone used a larger denomination coin and purposely struck it into this dime, not once but twice, at exactly the same angle seems far fetched to me.
As often heard here,there is no way of telling how PMD occurs,this seems to be steching it a bit.
Especially where the anomaly converges at the bottom.
I am by no means an expert on these matters. Yet my gut feeling is that this is a one of a kind anomaly and am curious as to why it has continues to fall off the radar without one plausible explanation.
I agree, a Mike Diamond chime in to satisfy this curiosity.
What if you had it in hand? Same opinion?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 927Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: