Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Selling Dad's Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 943Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newromom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope I'm in the right forum.
I not a collector but my dad, also not a collector, saved coins. They are now mine to try to sell. I am overwhelmed because there are so many.Im looking for advice on the best way to sell for highest return. I'm retired and can use the money for bills.
I have Morgans, Peace dollars, Indian head & Liberty nickels. Mercury dimes silver quarters etc...
Any advice on the best way to sell these and I might need help with values. I try to research and use Ebay but I don't want to misrepresent any of the coins.
I also have foreign coins.
Sorry for the long post but this forum is awesome and I know someone can help me! Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9349 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have quite a task ahead of you. Many factors will influence price/value. Suggest posting a few large and sharp pics of the coins you consider the most interesting and valuable. With those, we can better respond to your questions. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71713 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10949 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from England!
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. If there's a local coin store near you, ask them if they'd take a look at the collection. But do not sell them without doing some research on what it's worth so you get a fair price. If there's a local coin club close, you could also ask someone there to have a look. Closed ebay sales is a place to look as you mentioned, get a copy of Handbook of United States coins as well if you want. And doing a google search you'll find sites that show coin values.

I have a document on my computer and backup drives that lists all my coins, ancient, modern, describes them and says how much I paid. I've also kept all the sales receipts. Been doing this for over twenty years. I intend to pass on my collection to my daughter. She's aware of this list which will help her when I'm gone. About once a year I print the updated list, leave it in the bank box.
Edited by livingwater
08/17/2022 7:27 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14658 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your dad wasn't a collector, but just "saved coins" he came across that were old, foreign or otherwise unusual, then it's highly likely that none of the individual coins are scarce or rare. Rare coins are valuable because there aren't many of them, and coins selected at random aren't likely to be one of those rare ones.

Coins are also valuable if they are in good condition; again, if your dad wasn't a collector and wasn't paying money for high-grade examples, then it's highly likely that your coins are going to be in low-to-average condition.

I'm not saying "your coins are no good", I'm saying it's best to set realistic expectations. That way, any rare or above-average coins will be an unexpected bonus. Your dad might have just happened to obtain some amazing coins, by accident - but it's not highly likely.

So let's talk minimum possible value. The pre-1965 silver coins will actually be made of silver. If the coins aren't rare or high grade, then their minimum value is whatever their silver content is worth - which is considerably more than face value these days. Right now, if you add up the face value of all your actual-silver coins and multiply that number by 15.33, that's the value of the silver content.

For pennies and nickels, their minimum value is face value; any value above face they might have is entirely in any collector premium, so date, mintmark and condition will determine the value.

For foreign coins, your best bet is to look up the NGC world coin database. This will at least give you a ballpark idea on whether a coin might be valuable or not. If you can't ID the coin, post pics in our ID Required subforum and we'll help ID it for you.

As for "how to sell", you've basically got three options.

1. Take it to a coin dealer's shop, and sell it for whatever the dealer offers to give you. This is the quickest and easiest way, if you need the money in a hurry (eg. if you need to settle the estate quickly). But it will likely result in the lowest price you receive for the coins.

2. Sell it by auction. Coin auction houses generally are only interested in valuable coins and have a minimum value for accepted consignments. Auctions tend to get higher prices, but you need to wait until the auction is held - which might be several months after you submit the coins.

3. Sell online, by eBay or other online venues. This is likely to get you the highest return, since you're selling direct to collectors, but is slow (since you're selling coins one at a time) and you have to put in all the work getting them up on eBay, then all the work packing, mailing, dealing with troublesome buyers, etc. There are also special rules you need to comply with when selling coins on eBay. I'd really only recommend this path if you or someone else in the family is already confident an established at selling things on eBay.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
576 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes find out condition and keydate/mintage or if there are any unusual errors on coins, also sap summed this up already.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
961 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have nothing to add. Everything has already been said for me, I can only advise you to take some good photos of a pile of your coins so that we can begin to understand a little about the price of these coins. When selling coins, the main thing is not to rush, you need to find out everything before the sale.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newromom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice. I'm actually surprised at some of the coins he had..lol
I don't think there are rare coins but I just want to get a fair price for what I have. I think I'm going to try ebay . There are a couple dealers around here. One offered $145 for a roll of silver quarters. I've seen them on Ebay for at least $200.
I just found some interesting paper money. Going to post on the proper forum and see what you guys have to say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4076 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One offered $145 for a roll of silver quarters

Thats about what they are worth. Good luck
Learn More...
United States
39697 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can try eBay, but whatever you get for them will be reduced by about 15% in fees, and the risk that they will get lost in the mail (100% loss), and take other risks that will not get you cash in hand like at the coin dealer.

The silver value in them TODAY is $142.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12974 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty much everyone who inherits a stash of coins goes through this. some great comments above. Sap laid out your options. you never know if there is anything of value in there so in addition to the above I would suggest the following

1. make a list of the coins (including mint mark) in a spreadsheet by denomination

2. go to numismedia.com and check to see if any of them have more than minimum value. set aside any of those. these may be the ones you want to consider auctioning on EBAY.

3. I would be photograph each side of these and post them here one coin per thread and let CCF members let you know if you have anything worthwhile and possible value

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtm
Edited by panzaldi
08/25/2022 08:23 am
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newromom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty! I have my work cut out for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4351 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You stated your Dad was NOT a collector .
Therefore the stuff he accumulated was generally taken out of
Circulation back in the day . Detective work says that if you
are retired ,then he was in his prime when silver was replaced
by clad . He probably did what almost everyone else , took the
Silver out and squirrelled it away .
Take the stuff to a reputable coin shop and sell it .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71713 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start by showing us a few items you think are the most interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20732 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

On Google try coin shows. If there are any in your area, go to one and ask several different dealers about your coins.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 943Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: