Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896-S Barber Dime Repunched Mint Mark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Msjudochop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I inherited my grandfathers coin collection. I have slowly been going through them. He left no information about them so each coin is a research project it seems. I am going through the Barber dimes. I have an 1896 S that appears to have doubling on the reverse. To me it seems to have rpm s/s however, I cannot find any reference to this error on the internet. All I have found is another 1896 s/s on eBay for sale. Our coins look similar. Anyway, would someone with more knowledge and experience mind taking a look? I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Msjudochop
08/17/2022 6:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46608 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Please no photos of monitor screens.
Does not look like an RPM to me: http://doubleddie.com/971920.html
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71778 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please correct your title - I think you mean "repunched".
Learn More...
United States
24814 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that this seems to be a small buildup of crud rather than a RPM. On varietyvista, there is no listing of a RPM for this date:

http://varietyvista.com/19th%20Cent...arieties.htm
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David Lawrence "Complete Guide to Barber dimes" for 1896-S says "don't be fooled by shelf-doubled S/S coins." Perhaps referring to what you see here. Neither Bowers' guide nor Cherrypickers lists anything for 1896-S. I don't have Kevin Flynn's book. 1896-S is a relatively scarce date. What's going on with the copper-looking plug behind Liberty's head?

By the way, welcome! and great job figuring out how to post photos straight out of the gate! Show us more of your grandfather's coins. There are some cool things to look for in the other Barber dimes.
Edited by kbbpll
08/18/2022 12:06 am
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Msjudochop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome! And yes I read through the how to post an image tutorial closer than I read through the rules on what type of images not to post. Oops. I apologize for the microscope screen photo.

I have a feeling that you guys are correct about the mint mark. I'mstill a novice when it comes to grading and identifying double dies and other errors. Well.. really a novice at all things coin collecting.

I'd love to share some more of these Barber dimes I am going through. I actually need help with the grade of a 1895-P. Should I post here or start a new topic?

Again I thank y'all for the welcome!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46608 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One coin per thread. Here is a good link to learn grading: https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
116398 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your screen photo didn't bother me in the least. It very clearly shows what you're asking about. Others taken that way are so pixelated or whatever you call it that they're not useful.

Here is a direct link to the Lawrence book online. While it's old, it still has a wealth of useful information about Barber dimes.
https://archive.org/details/compgui...dime1991lawr

If you have any 1899-1905 dimes, particularly S mint, there are a bunch of transition varieties to look for. Some are not documented, they don't have any extra value that I know of, but fun to find. There are many repunched dates and mint marks throughout the series. The 1905-O "micro O" is popular, as well as the 1901-O over horizontal O.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: