Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Newfoundland 5 Cents - Obverse # 3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 472Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add acan451 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
I would really appreciate some help with this coin
I think it has been cleaned and I would like a hand grading it.
I am thinking VF-20 to VF-40 ?
Not being the greatest at grading but I sure could use some help with the grading and value
Thank you in advance
All the best
Alan

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4840 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30 cleaned
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 22 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46532 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be harshly cleaned.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4459 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For wear, it looks like nice vf-30, maybe XF-40, but it looks to have been cleaned harshly with a Brillo pad. Too bad, a nice coin that an owner ruined.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
754 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on VF30 and cleaned harshly with something like an SOS pad, but I still like it!

Its damaged, but its not ruined exactly. Its a pretty rare coin and still has value.

Looks good laid Reverse side up!
Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an XF coin everyday if someone hadn't gone nuts with the cleaning. Still has a nice look overall.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2675 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value is a tricky word, especially on a rare'ish coin.
Most would want a problem free 15 than a destroyed 40 for the same money.
Add in the fact that there are so few NFLD collectors and this one is a really tough sell.
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: