Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver(?) Variety Of The Nova Scotia Broke Token Ns-7A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 656Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  10:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been drawn away from collecting and numismatics for a little while, but a recent item has grabbed my curiosity and dragged me back into things.

The following token is the variety NS-7A and appears to be silver. The accompanying label (apparently from an older British collection) also notes it as silver. It does not appear to be plated as a few notable digs around the rim do not reveal an obvious copper core, but I am not experienced with distinguishing such features. No silver variety for this token is noted by Charlton, Courteau, or other references.

Any further comments or opinions are welcome!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16239 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Variety NS-7B4

Jetons Canada has one for sale on eBay
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dies used for NS-7B4 (a "Short Bust" variety) are different than those used for the token in question which I am certain is NS-7A (the "Long Bust" variety). Also, I know of no silver example for NS-7B4 either. The cleaned nature of the token posted by JetonsCanada appears to be giving it a misleading colour in the photo?
Valued Member
Canada
292 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ blargish

I can see how something like that could drag you back in lol.
Very cool example of the token...the off metal is the first feature I see, it appears to be overstruck on something , I see the ghost under there ...it had use , theres wear and I think the die state was late as well, some features look mushy.
I cant offer much more than that other than to say I'd be proud to have that in my collection...I like those oddballs
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1.It is NS-7A: a. the bust points to the right side of X; b. the shirt at neck line is long; c. the shoulder fringes are short, ending above the bust line.

2. It appears to be overstruck. Probably double struck with the 2nd strike rotated clockwise about 15. I can see another 4 under the shield.

3. An XRF is needed to determine if it silver or plated.

Very interesting piece.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Charlton token catalogue says that cast copies exist. It could be a result of scrap metal being used, not copper.

What's the weight ? Silver, or lead-mix should be heavier than copper.

If you have $15,000, you can get an RFX gun to check the metal, or make a tiny new scratch on the edge to see if the colour is still silvery.

What looks like a 4 under the shield could be an A from an obverse clash or second coin imprint.
Valued Member
Canada
177 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@blargish: Did you take the weight of your token? Because normally if it is silver, it should have a higher density than copper, so you could always do a density test.

But it won't necessarily be a categorical answer, since it depends on the accuracy of the test and also the silver content.
Edited by ainsivalavie
09/19/2022 1:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2675 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a solder mark (or a rim dingl between A and N in briannia?
Could've been plated for mounting?
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: